Tag Archives: A history of Buxton Village on the East Coast Demerara. Guyana

A history of Buxton Village on the East Coast Demerara. Guyana

A history of Buxton Village on the East Coast Demerara. Guyana

By: Murphy Browne  ©  April 19-2018

In April 1840 Buxton Village was established on the East Coast, Demerara, British Guiana by 128 Africans who had been freed from chattel slavery on August 1st, 1838. The Africans pooled their money and bought a 500-acre plantation, New Orange Nassau from its owner James Archibald Holmes, for $50,000. They named the village Buxton in honour of abolitionist Thomas Fowell Buxton. Buxton was the second village established by Africans in British Guiana. Victoria Village, also on the East Coast of Demerara was purchased in November 1839, by a group of 83 formerly enslaved Africans.     Continue reading