OLYMPICS 2021 – Canada’s Andre De Grasse wins GOLD in the 200m

Andre De Grasse

This is the first time a Canadian has won the event since 1928

Andre De Grasse has claimed the gold medal in the 200m at the Tokyo Olympics, running in a blazingly fast 19.62 in the men’s final on Wednesday August 3, 2021.

This is De Grasse’s fifth Olympics medal, making him one of Canada’s most decorated athletes. He previously won bronze in the 100m at Tokyo and three medals at the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro including a silver in the 200m.

READ MORE + VIDEOS – https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2021/08/andre-de-grasse-200m-tokyo-olympics/

Comments

• Chris  On 08/08/2021 at 12:18 am

Congrats, Andre de Grasse, on winning gold in the men’s 200 meter sprint and to your 6 medals overall.

May all Guyanese be reminded that our beloved homeland has won only a solitary medal at the summer Games, and that was at the boycotted Moscow Games of 1980.

On July 31, Michael Anthony won a bronze medal in boxing at the bantamweight level. That year, Guyana entered 8 athletes to complete, 7 men as and 1 woman. Guyana sent 7 members to Tokyo in 2020.

We have to do better because we can. We call on the government of Guyana to invest in our athletes, essentially in track and field.

• wally n  On 08/08/2021 at 10:47 am

I agree..what I can’t understand and the U S and other developed countries also, is the Dominance of Jamaican athletes in track and field. Diet? I think that Africans do well in long distances because the start running and walking long distances from a very young age.
    There was a time when Guyana was making progress in Distance running, that could be revived, we have plenty “Water”used to be a lot of swimming going on, lack of international facilities?
    What about the niche events Rowing, maybe intensify the focus.I know one person on this site would agree on rowing.
    Last thought, if I remember well (hardly) 1976 Olympics, Cycling, Single Heat, the Guyanese cyclist beat the Canadian in the velodrome, never used the higher bank, went like a bat out of hell on the flats and won. I felt real good, BTW you guys can correct the above.

• Chris  On 08/08/2021 at 2:58 pm

“Cycling, Single Heat, the Guyanese cyclist beat the Canadian in the velodrome, never used the higher bank, went like a bat out of hell on the flats and won.” Wally.

What do you mean by “the Guyanese cyclist beat the Canadian”? He sure didn’t win a medal!

• wally n  On 08/08/2021 at 2:23 pm

Someone told me that there is talk of focusing on Handball…sorry I could not find any evidence, but might be a good idea.

• Chris  On 08/08/2021 at 3:07 pm

Guyanese can train in disciplines like weightlifting, boxing, judo, long-distance running, water sports, and much, much more.

We have the climate for summer sports!

It’s time to stop sending 7 people to the Games, it’s embarrassing. They can all fit in a single taxi. That’s a joke!

• wally n  On 08/08/2021 at 4:06 pm

agree…100% especially when there is lots of talent, but, the process has to start very young. I have seen Chinese Coaches train Table Tennis players, practice, practice, none older than ten years, have to play same shot one hundred times, against the robot. Brutal but effective.
    Talking about joke, allow me one,long, one of Canada best women players trained with her coach at our club, so serious..I approached him and asked if he would play doubles against me and my buddy, he never changed his expression, never said yes or no.
    At the end of the practice, he brought her over to our table, ready to play,but, since I was half joking I never told my partner, he was aghast, telling me you nuts! Anyway we played, we were beaten so badly, we ended on one side of table at the net. They left said nothing, my partner was kind of mad at me, but I did convince him that we were coming along, however slowly.
    I convinced my partner, to try one more time, and practiced a lot. I asked, actually begged, the coach and he agreed, we played, they did beat us but it was close, was a big day for us, so whenever I see her I would mention the game and she would smile, forgot to mention when we played, she was just a young lady.
    Memories..one of my good ones.