Guyanese Online Announcement: Political Entries and Comments

FROM THE EDITOR – GUYANESE ONLINE – MARCH 19, 2020

As from today, there will be no more entries in Guyanese Online that relate to politics in Guyana, the USA, or any other country. Readers are encouraged to go elsewhere to the many news outlets available.

Readers would understand that the divisive nature of many political news items and commentaries will not help any country in these perilous times. It is now believed that the worldwide reactions to the Coronavirus pandemic will cause the meltdown in economies worldwide and these will be accompanied by social disruptions. This emergency will last for months and many countries, businesses and organizations will not recover.

From now on, therefore, this blog will concentrate with renewed focus on helping Guyanese Associations worldwide with their projects. This was the original reason for creating this website in February 2010.

Please refrain from posting any more comments to previous political articles., as they will be deleted.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Cyril Bryan

Editor  / Publisher. Guyanese Online

cybryan@gmail.com

Comments

• Clyde Duncan  On March 19, 2020 at 6:38 am

Cyril: Without some controversy the readership and participation will decline.

Keep an eye on Blog Stats, above

• Bridgit Sam-Bailey  On March 19, 2020 at 6:57 am

Dear Cyril

I can quite understand this decision, but I shall miss the information you have provided on matters of interest to all Guyanese. I know that, as a long time reader, what ever you do will be of interest, and appreciated.

Blessings

Sent from my iPad

• Emanuel  On March 19, 2020 at 10:42 am

Dear Editor:

As the owner of this blog, you have the right to dictate what you’d like posted on Guyanese Online. However, I am deeply disappointed that you have decided to ban debates on politics.

Such a decision runs counter to the principles of free speech. While I understand your concerns about the divisiveness of Guyana politics, it is a main reason why you have attracted a worldwide readership.

Politics has always been a main part of debate and discussion in any society in recorded history and will never change.

It is my hope that your decision to ban political debates is a temporary one.

Yours truly,
    Emanuel.

• Michael O Alstrom  On March 19, 2020 at 11:04 am

Well put

Get Outlook for Android ________________________________

• wally n  On March 19, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Is it possible to have a POLITICAL discussion group, this is done on some sites, you already make decisions on go/no go.
    Sometimes there is a gem hidden in a barrel of crap.SOMETIMES

• IAN NASCIMENTO  On March 19, 2020 at 4:47 pm

THAT IS GOOD NEWS BECAUSE THERE WERE SEVERAL PEOPLE POSTING ARTICLES SLAMMING GOOD PEOPLE WITH THEIR SCREWED UP POLITICAL VIEWS.

• brandli62  On March 23, 2020 at 12:31 pm

I suggest a compromise. Continue with posting political articles relating to Guyana, but remove the commentary option. Once the election issues in Guyana have been resolved, one might consider allowing commentaries again. It might be good to have a moderator, who removes any comments that are racist, sexist, inflammatory or insulting.

• guyaneseonline  On March 24, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Hello all:
    A compromise, as suggested bybrandi62 sounds really good … however, here is how I see it now.

1. My choice of what to post may reflect my political view. I have already been told that I am an APNU-AFC supporter. When the PPP was in power under President Ramotar I featured Government events and speeches…. I was then labelled a PPP supporter.
    2. My decision to not feature political news was based on the fact that most Guyanese and World news is now online and easily available in many formats. This was not so in 2010 when I started this website… Technology has moved ahead… persons can also make their views known on those news outlets.
    3. Recently, I have been unable to find the time to properly manage the comments and this has caused a free-for-all…. ..Racist Comments: .Anti-Indian, Anti African and even Anti-Jewish comments slipped by and they have disturbed me and many readers. Politics seems to trigger most of the on-line conflict and now I do not have to deal with it.
    4. Most importantly, I now have to reduce the time I now spend on this blog/website as I have been asked to manage the conversion and launch of a commercial project online.
    5. The blog takes up my time and costs me money and my requests for donations and advertising to get other help, have been basically ignored. I therefore have no real obligation to continue . However, for now, the Associations listing as well as non political entries will be featured.
    6. As noted in my announcement, this is not just a Guyana issue. The decision relates to not carrying political news and commentaries from ALL countries.

Thank you for your support and understanding.
    Cyril

• Emanuel  On March 24, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Your hard work is very much appreciated, Cyril.

• theonly  On March 24, 2020 at 4:56 pm

THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK OVER ALL THESE YEARS.

• Ron Saywack  On March 24, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Dear Cyril:

I want to thank you for having the vision and courage to start up Guyanese Online. You have done a great job over the past ten years.

Though I occasionally post comments, I always keep up with the blog entries and the comments. Your decision to ban political views caught me by surprise. Political views are an integral part of discourse and dialogue in democratic societies. I think it is the wrong decision and one I do not support. At the same time, I can understand and appreciate your concerns about, as you stated, “the divisiveness” of some of the comments.

In my view, that is the nature of the beast. That is how it is, that is how it has been and that is how it will always be. It is human nature. As the editor and moderator, you can always delete comments that cross the line and warn or sanction offenders. But to totally ban political views in deeply disappointing.

Having said that, as of today, I shall no longer post comments on the site. I want to say it has been a pleasure to have had the opportunity to do so over the years. Finally, I wish you all, my compatriots, the very best in your future endeavors.

Regards, Ron.

• Jim  On March 26, 2020 at 1:42 am

I don’t interfere with Guyanese politics, as my only tie to Guyana is work for the Roraima Block offshore Essquibo, but I’ve seen some inflammatory comments from some regulars.

Guyanese politics might be different than the Democrat vs Republican debates. Most Guyanese who comment on politics have a keen leaning towards post-racial arguments rather than the entire spectrum of debates such as :economics, law, social sciences and environmental issues.

The anticipated oil revenues isn’t doing any help to quell the tensions that are occurring in Guyana. I might have to ask the company to house our employees inside a gated community at Ogle where it’s safer.

Guyana has a lot of oil, but the cultural differences have created tensions. It is human nature to fight for the hundreds of billions of barrels of oil and gas under the current political climate and tensions. I have no part of it. The company only seeks to explore the potential of 50 billion barrels of oil in the Roraima Block. Period.

• guyaneseonline  On March 29, 2020 at 10:46 am

REPLY TO ALL READERS

The new policy is to not carry politics at all … irrespective of country.
        This policy will not be changed.
        Anyone can start a blog and feature what they want…. e,g Guyana politics e,g USA politics etc.
        There are lots of avenues for persons to air their views on politics… In the future it will NOT be on this blog.
        Thank you..
        Moderator

• brandli62  On March 25, 2020 at 6:51 am

Dear Cyril, I discovered your online portal Guyanese Online late, about 18 months ago, but I have been enjoying your posts and links ever since. I also appreciate your years of work to tie together the far-flung community of Guyanese living across the globe. I also understand your personal constraints, the time and efforts the maintenance of the online portal absorb, and your are also not getting younger. In my opinion, you fully deserve recognition for your seminal work and I hope the the Guyanese government puts you on a list for a national award in the future. Thank you so much for a job well done! I’ll be missing this forum in its old format.

• wally n  On March 25, 2020 at 2:16 pm

I am surprised Cyril never saw this coming. It always comes down to two things, expansion and cost. Guyanese and West Indians talk a lot never give a lot $$$ including me. Produced TV for ten years, in a year, three months selling commercials, nine months trying to collect payment. (broke even) Always thought organizations, authors paid for the advertising, no free lunch, as the site grew would have been nice to have “interns” helping with the added expansion.
    Now that the site is in need maybe a nominal annual contribution from the free loaders could revive a not too bad forum.

• Bernard  On March 25, 2020 at 8:51 pm

Close it down Cyril.

• guyaneseonline  On March 29, 2020 at 10:56 am

Wally..
      Thank you for your comment.
      I did not start this blog ten years ago as a money making business.
      It was intended to feature Guyanese Associations and related positive Guyanese news, as then mostly all GT news was negative.
      Also it was my way of giving back to the Guyana, and especially those in the Diaspora.
      It has served its purpose …and now… with increased social media it is no longer necessary.
      It will eventually be reformatted with new areas of interest, and run by business partners.

Some individuals and organizations have sent monetary contributions in the past. They know who they are and I thank them.
      The world is in RESET mode and so is this Blog.

Thanks everyone.
      Cyril

• wally n  On March 29, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Wishing you all the best, remember CHARITY is expensive, especially in North America.