Guyana in 2050: Old Dhanpaul’s Dream! – By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Guyana in 2050: – By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Old Dhanpaul had a dream. He assembled the brethren at Cuffy Square, in Georgetown.

“Comrades, I had a dream. Why are we the biggest racists at election time? By 2050, our country, Guyana, will be taken over by a foreign clan. It will be done legally and legitimately. This is how it will happen: There will be a large influx of foreigners with second Guyanese passports. Some will inter-marry with Guyanese and will become naturalized as citizens.

These two classes will form their own political parties that will outnumber the ethnic or indigenous Guyanese. They will win the elections and take over the country. It’s that simple. The children, born from inter-marriages, will not be loyal to Guyana, but to other countries. The textbooks, schools, and universities will teach this to them.

READ MORE  Guyana in 2050 – By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Comments

• kamtanblog  On January 10, 2020 at 11:55 am

An insightful article !
    Long on predictions short on reality.
    Disagree with most of the predictions
    as it is full of speculation.
    For the changes to happen would take decades
    if not centuries. Oil and it’s wealth will not
    bring about the changes to make Guyana
    great again. The leaders they elect will do so.
    Where racism is endemic in society it will
    take strong leadership to make the changes
    neccessary to become a reality. Does Guyana
    have those leaders who will be prepared to
    put Guyana first and foremost. Doubt it !
    50+ years on and we will still be discussing
    these issues. Politricks my friends.

However I do remain optimistic of Guyana’s
    future and accept that the changes neccessary
    will come from within Guyana influenced by those living outside its shores…and what
    happens there.

An interest prognosis by my learned friend
    Dhanpaul Narine

Kamtan

• Emanuel  On January 10, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Our homeland has had an unfortunate beginning. We were brought here mainly from Africa and India by European exploiters,

We were thrown into a pot of cultural variance and forced to congeal as one. In the process, the exploiters robbed our people of their dignity, cultures, traditions and more,

The slaves were forced to work on the plantations to death. Our ancestors were degraded and mistreated, unimaginably.

The exploiters robbed them of everything. Then they introduced their religion, they political system whilst extracting our wealth and shipped It to their homelands,

Before they finally left a little more than a half century ago, they sowed the seeds of racial division and left us to sort it out.

That is why we vote along certain ways. It is highly unlikely to change by 2050.
    Emanuel.

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 2:16 pm

My ancestors were forced more to relinquish their cultures compared to other groups. The indentured labourers were not beaten to death for lighting diya or talking in their native tongues compared to the slaves who were tied to posts and dismembered and whipped by the Dutch plantation settlers in Berbice and Demerara.

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On January 10, 2020 at 12:41 pm

Your dream, Dr. Narine, ignores global rising sea levels that will inundate Guyana’s coastal region.

• kamtanblog  On January 10, 2020 at 12:54 pm

Rosie
      Indeed a dream ! GT will become the Venice
      of latinoland and hopefully most of the rats
      would have left ship before it sinks.
      Maybe only then will Guyana change
      hopefully for the better.

Time will tell
      First hurdle 2 March elections.

Kamtan

• Trevor  On January 10, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Man I thought this was a futurist article regarding oil and the economy. Instead, it’s some Alt Right conspiracy of “dem foreigners tekking over” and “dem Venezuelans, Haitians and Chinese man”.

I know “Indo-Guyanese” friends whose grandparents married white men, and they are treated as second class citizens in the white countries and labelled Arabian refugees.

What is wrong with people of different races falling in love anyways? How many Guyanese pay off Canadians, Americans and British to marry for citizenship?

• dhanpaul narine  On January 10, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Trevor, use you head. This is not about ‘falling in love.’ It is about patrimony, and protecting the homeland. Here is an example: Qatar is one of the richest countries in the world with a total land area of 4, 483 square miles. Its population is about 2.5 million. However, its expat population is around 5 million and growing. By 2030, the expat population will triple. Qataris are a minority in their own country, comprising only 11 per cent of the total population. So they realized that if the expats become citizens, they can vote out the locals and take over the country.
    In order to protect the wealth, Qatar leaders passed laws restricting citizenship to the indigenous population. And there are other laws about holding property, inheritance etc.
    If you are an expat, you work , sometimes on contract, with the understanding that Qatar is for Qataris only, and you are a guest.
    Now contrast this to Guyana. What laws do we have to protect our wealth. Who is talking about protecting it? About citizenship and the future influx? There will be thousands coming to Guyana with second Guyanese passports and will claim citizenship. It is happening already.
    Unless we pass sensible laws, they will have full rights and can legally take over the country. Our leaders are so obsessed with power that they are not thinking long term.

• kamtanblog  On January 10, 2020 at 10:04 pm

An interesting point !
      As a guyanese who is in “exile” uk/spain
      may add….Guyana lacks leadership/vision
      to implement the change suggested.
      Naievity and status quo politically.
      Hence my suggestion it may take decades
      /century for that change to happen.

Am forever the optimist but not holding my
      breadth!

First hurdle 2 March…many more rivers to cross.

Kamtan 🇬🇧🇬🇾🇪🇸🇬🇧👽🌍

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 2:18 pm

Do you actually subscribe to the insular agenda of the PPP?

The PPP is borrowing the white nationalist close borders theory to spread hate against the Nigerians and Haitians, solely because the PPP do not envision a Guyana where Africans are allowed to prosper in the post-oil economy.

• kamtanblog  On January 12, 2020 at 2:30 am

Politricks !
        Now 13 contenders for the Un-United
        Kingdom of Guyana.
        Maybe Harry and Megan should recolonise
        USA and makes Guyana one of their colonies.

At my cynical best

It would certainly sink Humpity Dumpity
        titanic…make America great again

Amusing !

One must not only see leaves on Forrest floor
        One must see the Forrest from outer space.

Kamtan 👽

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Qatar and the rest of Arabia welcome American and European expats, while treating Africans, Filipinos, Indians and Pakistanis as sub-humans. Human rights abuses for the non-whites, but tolerance for the Europeans.

Why are you comparing Guyana to Arabia?Arabian oil comes directly from the sand, while Guyana’s offshore oil is 20,000 feet under the ocean!

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 1:51 pm

CASES

The following are excerpts from documented Human Rights Watch interviews with Filipino domestic workers in the UAE.

Mona O., a 42-year-old Filipina worker: “For three consecutive days she (employer) hit me. She punched my arm, she pulled on my hijab and my clothes. I said, ‘Why you hit me?’ and she said, ‘I will always hate you.'” Her employer made deductions from her pay if she communicated with family and friends.

Jenny P., a Filipina worker: “The first time I went to the house, they told me, ‘You cannot eat what you want.’ After one month, they said I cannot eat anything, even food that is being thrown away. She (employer) would have to see the food was in the garbage. My body got thinner and thinner.”

Mary Ann P., a Filipina domestic worker in Abu Dhabi: “If I finish the work then I can eat. I only eat at night, sometimes at 8 p.m. Sometimes, there is no food inside if they eat outside, as refrigerator is locked. I would feel dizzy sometimes from not eating.”

Holly C., a 26-year-old Filipina worker whose sponsor was a UAE cleaning company that employed her to clean clients’ homes, said that the company’s owner threatened her: “If you do anything wrong, I will kill you and cut you up into pieces and put you into the desert and no one will know.” She ran away the following day.

Sandra S., 33-year-old Filipina domestic worker: “It was a flat so I slept in the stock room with the boxes around me on the floor. I got a cardboard to sleep on. I woke up one time and jumped because there was a rat climbing on my leg.”

Diana B., a Filipina worker.“He (employer) said, ‘Sit on my back, here it is painful,’ and he pointed me to a lower part of his back. I said, ‘No, Sir, this is not right.’ And he said, ‘No, this is what they do in the massage places I know.’ So I sat on his back and he did this—(gesturing that her employer moved her onto the bed on her back) and then he tried to go up on me. I said to him, ‘I am here to work, not to play. Please just let me do my job, don’t do this.’”

Diana said she ran away twice from her male employer who had sexually assaulted and harassed her. She returned both times because the house was far away from the city center in Abu Dhabi and she was afraid of taxi drivers.

SadiyahA., a 36-year-old Filipina domestic worker: “I didn’t have a day off, I couldn’t sleep until they (employers) have gone to bed. And they didn’t give me my salary. Madam keeps shouting—always like that. She would say, I don’t have a brain, don’t have common sense, and “donkey” in Arabic. In Abu Dhabi mall, I was crying in the restaurant because she shouted at me, saying, ‘You have no brain,’ in front of other people. It really hurt.”

DelilahS., a Filipina domestic worker, said a man living in her sponsor’s home had sexually harassed and attempted to rape her. She said he frequently grabbed her when she was cleaning and threatened her, saying: “I will tell (your sponsor), you steal my money.” She said that one day, in 2008, he tried to rape her and threatened to kill her. When she resisted him, he told her sponsor that she had stolen his money. Delilah said to her employer: “I’ve been here for two years. I have no salary. Why would I do this?” She said her sponsor believed her but did not report the incident to the police.

Mabel L., a 35-year-old Filipina domestic worker: “I said I want to work, but not as a nanny. They said, ‘Just try.’ My employer kept my passport and told me that if I went outside, the police would arrest me for having no ID. My employer forced me to work up to 20 hours a day, with no rest and no day off. She locked me inside the house, often delayed paying my wages for three months at a time, and verbally abused me, including death threats. He also physically abused me. He slapped me, beat me, and kicked me. I couldn’t walk. He beat me on my left hip.”

Sabina S., a 26-year-old Filipina domestic helper: “Madam said, ‘When you finish your contract, we will pay.’ After two years, I asked for my money. But, madam lost my passport. She said, ‘You have to wait until passport is claimed (processed). I will give you money when you are leaving.’

Sabina said her employer took her phone and did not allow her to call her family for more than two years. Her employer forced her to work for two years and seven months with no salary. She worked 20 hours a day with no breaks, seven days a week, for a family of 12.

Her employer verbally and physically abused her, and confined her in the house. Sabina was still waiting to be paid the wages due to her when she spoke to Human RightsWatch. She said she was losing hope.

• Emanuel  On January 11, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Mr Narine: Your concerns are legitimate.

But perhaps you and others should come back the land of your birth instead of firing criticism from afar.

By telling Trevor to use his head, you’re being condescending. Furthermore, your use of the word “patrimony “ is vague. Patrimony relates to the heritage and inheritance of a father. It is may be seen as insulting to the other half of the population.

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Emanuel,

The PPP agents who live in ABC countries (thanks to the struggles of African-American brethren), want to close the borders, to live in a post-oil “utopia” where people like me, the Haitians and Amerindian Venezuelans do not exist. This is why they are calling for me to be censored.

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Dubai treats Filipina women like underclass! Racist Arabs!

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Comment from my Indo-Guyanese friend studying in Canada:

“So dem fake-communist Jaganites wanna tun Arabs? How would they like it if ICE [vigilante anti-migrant soldiers] round up Dr. Dhanpaul and his family, tell him that “they are guests in America” and then deport them back to Guyana?”

“Rass I got a feeling dat sum Guyanese wanna emulate the wrong set of people!”

“If the fake-commie Guyanese wanna become insular and xenophobes, then Guyanese living abroad should not mingle with dem fake Arabians”

“I got a European grandfather who converted to Islam, but I will never treat anyone as second class because of their race. What de rass Dr. Dhanpaul wanna spread Arabian superiority and anti-Black bias?”

• kamtanblog  On January 11, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Worked with many Sri Lankan (Tamil tigers)
      in Royal Mail uk.
      Young srilankan boys were used as domestics
      in Saudi Roual households. Some were castrated(working in Harlem if wives) or sexually abused. A disgraceful culture of
      Arabians. Doesn’t surprise me on how
      the servants are treated in Quatar.

As a race Arabs should be ashamed of
      their behaviour towards their servants/imported
      workers. Sorry should never be tolerated.
      Arabian culture must change. It is 2020.

• guyaneseonline  On January 11, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Trevor:
      “…… What de rass Dr. Dhanpaul wanna spread Arabian superiority and anti-Black bias?”

AGAIN…Trevor you have it all wrong ….
      Dr Dhanpaul Narine is NOT advocating the spread of Arabian superiority and anti-Black bias.
      He used the Qatar example to highlight the fact that Guyanese may become a minority in their own country if being a Guyana Citizen is not clearly defined and adhered to.
      Eventually, foreign born “new Guyanese” may take over the country.

Please focus on the article and stop the racist anti-Arab comments and the use of foul language. They are repetitious and I am losing my patience in this …

Second Strike…. Warning!!! Three strikes and you will be blocked on this blog website.

Moderator..

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 3:28 pm

You don’t seem to comprehend that the “close borders” agenda is racist against non-whites.

I have quoted from WhatsApp, and if you could edit the r-word thank you.

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Mods, remember the days when we were being victimised by the PPP?

What happened to Ronald Waddell for speaking the truth? He was killed!

• kamtanblog  On January 12, 2020 at 2:35 am

Agree…nationalistic fervour/fermentation

Let’s hope common sense approach prevail !
        Person abuse unnecessary evil.
        Viv la Vida

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 3:44 pm

My Indo-Guyanese friend via WhatsApp:

“Seems like a certain segment of Guyanese aspire to become supremacists and only want the oil money for themselves! Be careful.”

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Mods, I cannot share the recent comment from my Indo-Guyanese friend, but he has lamented and has asked why are a certain segment of Guyanese that xenophobic towards the Haitians and have written vitriol and calls of hatred against them (in particular Guyana Times)?

he also believes that “closing the borders” is racist and it’s hypocrisy, given that he has seen a large number of Guyanese coming to Toronto and begging for help, though they are writing “close the border” arguments to spread hate and fear against the Haitians and Venezuelans.

He just called me and started cussing up and asking whether the “low class mentality” has run amok and whether Guyana will return to the days of the 1960 riots because of the contempt of “African” people by the PPP.

He has also confided that his blood relatives are closely tied with the PPP, but he is against the PPP because he has first hand experience of how much contempt that the PPP has towards certain Guyanese, and as a “multi-racial” person, he fails to understand why ethnocentrism is rife in the PPP, and that Guyana is not India or Arabia.

He also cussed up and said that when he returns to Guyana and if any “Indo-Guyanese” tries to disrespect people, he would “get even” with them…Moderator, you really have to understand how serious the situation is with the xenophobes and racism…

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 4:05 pm

My friend has shared this link to any Guyanese living abroad who wants to #close borders to the Haitians:

• guyaneseonline  On January 11, 2020 at 4:35 pm

TREVOR:
      Thank you for this….
      All I will say at this time is that I, as well as others who have lived in Guyana. are well aware of the racial undertones and biases that have always been there.. all through the history of the country.
      I, like most readers of this website, live in the Diaspora. We are in full communication with others in and outside Guyana, due to social media etc. We hope that the oil wealth is used to the benefit of all Guyanese.

As far as I could see the demographics of Guyana has changed… there are more and more MIXED persons and Indigenous persons… They now are at least 33% of the population. It is no longer only an Indian versus African- Guyanese issue.
      There are also more young people .. over 60% born since Independence.
      The people will decide who gets the most votes on March 2, 2020.
      Most likely Guyana will end up with a minority government as was the case in 2011… with third party holding the balance of power (AFC in 2011).
      In any case I believe that the future of Guyana looks unstable. I do not see any one group lording it over the populace.
      If that occurs it may descend into violence with no winners…
      We all have to hope that PEACE prevails.

You…or no one else… will be banned from Guyanese Online because of your views…. but personal insults and cuss words will not be tolerated. also…There is no pressure from anyone to have you banned so it is up to you to adhere to the rules.

Moderator.

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Citizenship of Guyana is based upon the Constitution of Guyana adopted in 1980 (US Mar. 2001, 89). Individuals who held Guyanese citizenship prior to the enactment of the 1980 Constitution are still recognized as Guyanese citizens (Guyana 20 Feb. 1980, Sec. 41).

Citizenship may be acquired by birth, descent, naturalization or upon registration following marriage to a Guyanese citizen (Guyana News and Information 31 Mar. 2006; US Mar. 2001, 89). Provisions may be made by Parliament for the acquisition of Guyanese citizenship by means other than those stipulated in Chapter IV of the constitution (Guyana 20 Feb. 1980, Para. 48(a)).

Children born in Guyana are entitled to citizenship except in cases where neither parent is a citizen and one (or both) parents have been granted diplomatic immunity or in cases where one parent is considered an enemy alien and the child has been born in a place under enemy occupation (Guyana 20 Feb. 1980, Para. 43(a)-(b)). Citizenship may be granted to a child born outside of Guyana’s territorial boundaries if either the mother or the father is a citizen of Guyana (ibid., Sec. 44).

Spouses of Guyanese citizens who were entitled to Guyanese citizenship by virtue of marriage prior to the commencement of the 1980 constitution retain the right to citizenship (Guyana 20 Feb. 1980, Sec. 42). Individuals who marry a Guyanese citizen following the enactment of the 1980 constitution are eligible to be registered as citizens by making an application and taking an oath of allegiance “as may be prescribed” (ibid., Sec. 45). Citizenship is not automatically conferred through marriage and prior to regularizing their status through the Ministry of Home Affairs, foreigners who are married to Guyanese citizens and who do not possess a valid passport, extension of stay and multiple entry visa may risk deportation (Guyana 23 Nov. 2005).

The Guyana Citizenship Act, which was amended in 1998 (Guyana n.d.), sets out the requirements for naturalization in the Second Schedule of Chapter 14 (Guyana 17 Dec. 1998). An applicant must have resided in Guyana for a period of twelve months immediately prior to making an application (ibid., Second Schedule Para. 1(a)), in addition to having resided in Guyana for five out of the last seven preceding years before the twelve month period (ibid., Second Schedule Para. 1(b)). The authorized Minister may allow certain exceptions concerning specified residency requirements and time periods (ibid., Second Schedule Sec. 2).

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 4:30 pm

#Close borders, yet countless Guyanese were living ‘illegally’ in foreign countries and getting citizenship:

On 20 July 2008, Kaieteur News, a Guyanese daily newspaper reported that Venezuela had agreed to regularize 50,000 illegal Guyanese residents, and that “in all likelihood”, they would be granted both Guyanese and Venezuelan citizenship (ibid.).

• Trevor  On January 11, 2020 at 6:04 pm

Moderator, I’m just here to point out hypocrisy, such as Guyanese living in ABC countries who are calling to “close the borders” and view Haitians and Venezuelans as “foreigners” who should be banned from Guyana, yet there are over 50,000 Guyanese living illegally in Venezuela who were given amnesty, and Guyanese continue to find elaborate ways to gain American, Canadian or British citizenship, such as marriages of convenience.

It should also be noted that a state in Canada, Newfoundland, has over 55 billion estimated barrels of oil and gas, for a tiny population of 500,000 people, yet Canada has not “closed the borders”.

I’m only here to point out hypocrisy.

Professor David Hinds has warned Guyanese not to become insular and xenophobic. It appears that the Baby Boomer generation of Guyanese are clutching at straws encouraging a “closing down of borders” while living in the ABC countries and receiving a lavish pension that they will use to retire when they remigrate to Guyana. I know their plans.

• Trevor  On January 12, 2020 at 6:38 pm

It appears that oil might be overflooded in the coming years. I’m not sure why people are assuming that Exxon has hit a gold mine, when OPEC is struggling to cut supply to boost prices.

Exxon ain’t stupid. They planned this all along to “discover” oil when oil prices are collapsing. They didn’t discover the oil during the $100 barrel days and when oil was legitimately becoming higher.

• Rov Burgess  On January 13, 2020 at 4:31 pm

I can see a possible Samoza type of regime in this country. I hope it does’ not get there.