Guyana: Oil Exploration: ExxonMobil applies to drill 31 more wells

ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Limited (EEPGL) has applied to the Environmental Protection Agency for authorization to drill some 31 wells in three offshore blocks.             

A notice from the environmental agency is in today’s edition of the Guyana Chronicle and gives a breakdown stating that 25 of the wells will be drilled in the Stabroek Block and three each in the Kaieteur and Canje Blocks respectively.

The applications signal a continuous ramping up of drilling operations by Exxon even as it prepares for first oil in Guyana’s waters sometime later this month.

The EPA says that the projects have already been screened to assess their potential environmental impacts and it has been determined that “these projects will not significantly affect the environment, and therefore are exempt from the requirement for an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).

However, in the interest of “sound environmental management”, an environmental assessment and management plan must be undertaken  to assess any possible impacts to the environment, human health. The plan also will detail specific mitigation measures to be undertaken to ensure that the proposed project is implemented in an environmentally sound and sustainable manner.

It is in this vein that the EPA is asking members of the public, in accordance with EPA Act,  that if they believe  that they may be affected to lodge an appeal against the agency’s decision within 30 days from today.

Details on the procedure for submitting appeals can be obtained from the agency’s website.

ExxonMobil Guyana has made 14 discoveries offshore since May 2015 and will begin producing up to 120,000 barrels of oil per day from the Liza Phase 1 development.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

  • Clyde Duncan  On December 7, 2019 at 8:37 am

    GUYANA Optimistic it Will Win the Essequibo Dispute at the I.C.J.

    MercoPress | South Atlantic News Agency

    President David Granger is optimistic that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) will dispense a ruling in favour of Guyana in the border dispute with Venezuela.

    The Guyanese president expressed these sentiments while appearing on the popular radio program, Hot Seat.

    “We hope that we will get a judgment and we are confident that we will be getting a very favourable judgment in a very short time,” Granger said, adding that the issue had been a “monkey on our backs for the last half-century”.

    “The territorial question has a lot to do with our petroleum exploration, the lineation of our maritime frontiers and seeking the court’s reassertion of the agreement of 1899 which clearly demarcated our borders.”

    The vast area west of the Essequibo River makes up two-thirds of the territory of Guyana and has been claimed by Venezuela as its own since the 19th century, when Guyana was still a British colony.

    The international Arbitral Award of October 1899 settled the Venezuelan claim, firmly defining the disputed territory as belonging to Guyana.

    But Venezuela contends that the Arbitral Award was null and void, and its claim on Guyana’s territory has been renewed since ExxonMobil made its first world class oil discovery offshore of the CARICOM nation.

    Despite the dispute, President Granger said Guyana has been fulfilling its humanitarian mandate by facilitating Venezuelan migrants crossing the border to escape the socio-economic turmoil in their homeland.

    Granger stressed that he did not view the migrant situation as a threat to Guyana’s territorial integrity. “Should there be a military threat, I am very confident that the defence forces will be capable of deterring aggression,” Granger said.

    The ICJ will begin hearing arguments in March 2020 on whether it has jurisdiction over the case filed by Guyana as it relates to the Arbitral Award of 1899.

  • Clyde Duncan  On December 7, 2019 at 8:41 am

    I believe the Venezuelan migrants should not be allowed to squat in the disputed west of Guyana – BUT, dispersed to other areas in Demerara and Berbice ….

    You are asking for trouble, Guyana, if you allow a build-up in the area.

    • Trevor  On December 7, 2019 at 5:11 pm

      The Pablo gangsters are in the Essequibo region. They even took control of an island up there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: