UK says no decision taken on next phases of two major infrastructural projects

— more fallout from gov’t breaching of constitution

From left are Minister of Finance Winston Jordan, Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson, British High Commissioner to Guyana Greg Quinn and other officials in 2016 at the launching of the programme. (SN file photo)
From left are Minister of Finance Winston Jordan, Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson, British High Commissioner to Guyana Greg Quinn and other officials in 2016 at the launching of the programme. (SN file photo)

In a clear sign of the jeopardy facing the Guyana Government for not holding general elections by September 18, the UK High Commission today said that no decisions have been taken on the next phases of two vital projects: the road between Linden and Mabura and the development of the Kingston-Ogle seawall.

The British High Commission here today issued the following statement:               

UK-Caribbean Infrastructure Fund (UKCIF) update

Following reporting in the local media the British High Commissioner H.E. Greg Quinn today said:

‘As part of the UK-Caribbean Infrastructure Fund (UKCIF), launched in 2016, over the last year the UK has supported initial design work for the construction of the road between Linden and Mabura and the bridge at Kurupukari which is being implemented by the Caribbean Development Bank. No decision has yet been made on the next, construction, phase of this project. Similarly whilst the UK funded the design phase of the Kingston-Ogle seawall project through UKCIF, no decision has been taken on the next phase of this project either.’

In recent days, Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson has talked up the prospects for the Linden-Mabura road and government agencies have also reported on the seawall project.

The UK was a signatory to a joint statement with the US and the EU on September 19 calling on President David Granger to set a date for general elections. The statement had also warned about the impact on development aid.

The statement said: “The United States, United Kingdom and the European Union thank the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) for devising a proposed elections timeframe for conducting General and Regional Elections.

“However, we deeply regret that, by surpassing September 18, the Government is currently in breach of the Constitution following its failure to adhere to the decisions of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) on 18 June and its subsequent orders.

“This situation comes at great cost to the people of Guyana. The prevailing political uncertainty undermines Guyanese institutions, compromises economic opportunities and delays development across all areas including infrastructure, education, health, and social services. It also hinders our ability to support Guyana’s development needs.

“We therefore call upon the President to set an elections date immediately in full compliance with Guyana’s constitution.”

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

  • Trevor  On 10/03/2019 at 7:03 pm

    Do these bald heads want to bring in Jagdeo and his puppet Irfaan Ali to wreck havoc and genocidal Phantom Squads funded by stolen oil monies?!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s