VIDEO: You’re never Indian or Caribbean enough in the UK – BBC News

Roti, doubles, Chutney music – is Indo-Caribbean culture under threat?

Chandani Persaud

Indian people have been living in the Caribbean for more than 180 years, but Chandani Persaud, founder of Indo-Caribbean London, says that their contribution to the West Indies is overlooked, and they are often excluded by the Asian community.

Fearing that young British Indo-Caribbeans are turning away from their culture, she is single-handedly organising the UK’s first Indo-Caribbean festival.

Video journalist: Asian Network‘s Nalini Sivathasan    – 05 August 2019  – 5.05 mins

VIEW VIDEO: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-49166806/roti-doubles-chutney-music-is-indo-caribbean-culture-under-threat

Comments

• Tara Lakshmi pranhaart  On August 11, 2019 at 2:47 am

This is so true!!

• Jasmin Prasard  On August 11, 2019 at 3:04 am

I must admit I visited this North London Mandir in UK and was astonished when I saw grown up people getting up and dancing and making so much noise jumping around in front of the motee s.

I found it disrespectful that someone had passed away and that this was the year work and people got up and stared dancing , jigging and gyrating. I could understand that they enjoyed the music but this was out of order and quite disgusting that Guyanese people behaved liked this in this manner

I actually recorded them on my phone and shared in on WhatsApps because I could not believe what I was seeing. I showed it to my friends and they said this is dead work and no respect to mandir or idiols or person who had passed. They should have had separate concert

• Trevor  On August 11, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Hey Trini East Indian, what happened to all of the oil and natural gas in your country? White man teif it all while you own the large buildings in Port-of-Spain? Wait a minute…The white man and Chinese man own most of the buildings…

“Guyanese people” is not me…I’m not those Guyanese…Those are Hindus! I’m a Christian who believes in Jesus Christ…Therefore, I’m not your generalisation of “Guyanese people”. They are Guyanese Hindus.

• Clyde Duncan  On August 11, 2019 at 4:08 am

I would definitely show up for the food: – If you do not love curry and roti, you don’t have a Heartbeat – That’s what I believe!!

• Clyde Duncan  On August 11, 2019 at 4:34 am

I say there is nothing like some curry and roti and talent like 13-Year old, Charlotte Summers to soothe the spirit and make you feel like ‘this is the closest thing to Heaven’:

• Clyde Duncan  On August 11, 2019 at 4:35 am

• Trevor  On August 11, 2019 at 3:04 pm

This is a white female, and not even East Indian!

or someone who doesn’t represent any ethnic group in the Caribbean other than the whites

White people always exalted in this world…the Caribbean got nuff talent, like Lisa and I might say Poonam Singh, or Blaze Anthonio, or Sophia Man, or lots of others, but the white woman could fart and the world will cheer at her…

Colorism exalts the white people, and this is what the article is complaining….Indo-based Guyanese are disowned by Asians, but white people in the UK think that they are “Paki” or some form of “terrorist” race…Lots of Indo-Caribbeans tell me this.

• Clyde Duncan  On August 11, 2019 at 4:36 am

Here she is at 11-Years old ….

• Jasmine  On August 11, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Indian and Caribbean culture is alive and well in the UK and in North America for sure. There are Festivals every year that display these cultures and are well attended by non Indian and Caribbean people living in those countries. Also, the many Caribbean restaurants that sell our multicultural foods that are loved by everyone living in these countries.

On another note, that young lady Charlotte Summers is truly amazing. I would definitely buy her music.