“Thank You Canada” – Robert Meadows (Circuit Court Judge, Florida)

Comments

• Clyde Duncan  On September 14, 2018 at 12:47 am

Comment by Mark Eisenman:

While I totally agree with the tone and spirit of this piece. I spotted some glaring errors and omissions below.

Can you spot them?

“They’re with us in NATO, they fought alongside us in World War I, World War II, Korea, the Gulf War, the Bosnian War, Afghanistan, the Kosovo War and came to our defense after 9/11. There was that one time when Canada took a pass on one of our wars: Vietnam. Turned out to be a good call.”

The author makes it sound like CANADA joined the USA in fighting these 2 World Wars.

The Reality is the Opposite:
    But Britain and Canada did thank the USA for jumping in there eventually.

1: 4th August 1914 Canada enters WW1
    April 6, 1917, U.S.A. joined its allies.

2: 10th September 1939 Canada entered WW2
    December 7, 1941, [after Pearl Harbour] USA joined its allies.

and this:

3. Canada took a pass on Vietnam AND Iraq… both instances a ‘Good Call’

• Clyde Duncan  On September 14, 2018 at 11:06 am

Art wrote:

The way it’s written may cause rabid Trumpeters to be cranky, jealous and spew nothing but hatred but the sentiments in my view are good intentioned.

Now, Imagine what it would be like if the USA had another Mexico (or worse) as a northern neighbour.

• Rod Halvorsen  On September 14, 2018 at 10:56 pm

Your Honor,
    Thank you for your very kind words.
    As a Canadian married to an American it’s hard for us to understand this “war”.
    We have been crossing the longest free border in the world all our lives. A drivers license was taken as sufficient ID. Our parents would just say “there our kids in the back seat”. Look at how we are now, having to worry about possible terrorists crossing from there to here, here to there.
    It’s true that most Canadians want to be there for others in need and we are, with far less resources than the USA.
    I’m proud to be Canadian. We do want to be fair with trade practices that will be binding by all three countries. Can Trump be trusted with any deals he makes? That is very questionable!
    This is unfortunate for the USA , Mexico and Canada.
    The so called deal with Mexico has not been worked out on paper, many issues are yet to be resolved.
    Canada has to take a long look at our marketing boards, it’s time for a change. On the other side, USA should be cutting subsidies to farmers.
    The trade deficit favours the USA over Canada.
    We don’t complain. We are Friends.
    USA owes Trillions to foreign countries;
    China, Japan, Germany, Canada and many more.
    What would the USA do if China or Japan decided to raise the interest rate. Between these two countries a .1% increase would amount to Billions on the 3-4 Trillion owed to them. Canada only represents less than 100 Billion. I have digressed,
    Canadians and most Americans will always be good Friends.
    It’s time to settle these petty issues.
    Canada does know that something has to be built into the Trade Agreement to stroke Trump.
    Most of us, in the know, sadly laugh.
    Again, thank you for your kind words.
    Rod Halvorsen
    rodneyh@shaw.ca

• jeff pollard  On September 17, 2018 at 5:18 pm

This article serves to assure Canadians, that many, many of our southern neighbors are still our friends!

• Tony Bollers  On September 20, 2018 at 9:20 am

Time marches on since a Trade Agreement was put into place. Just re-negotiate All Trade Agreements now in force and get one that is equal and Balanced to either Party. As an Guyanese American and forever a Friend to all Canadians,this is all I ask for and let life go on!

• Franciscus in Canada  On September 20, 2018 at 12:46 pm

All I can say is that I am relieved that yet another Clinton is not occupying the White House…

• Rod Benito  On September 20, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Amazing letter, Thank you!!!

I will share it on my facebook. I hope that is alright!!

• Clyde Duncan  On September 21, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Rod Benito: I am quite sure it is alright – Looking up above I see there is already about 250-Facebook friends like me and you!

• Alain Belhumeur  On September 24, 2018 at 8:16 pm

As a proud Canadian military who serve his country for 40 years, I said many thanks. I fought side by side with US troops in Afghanistan and never I will despite your country. You were, are and will be our closer allies in all points. This unpleasant situation will pass as leaders change in near future, that’s all. Thank you for your support and wish the best in your future endeavours, sir.

A. Belhumeur CD Sgt(ret)