Deadly high seas attack…Ramjattan leads high-level security team to Suriname – UPDATED

Deadly high seas attack…Ramjattan leads high-level security team to Suriname

Minister Khemraj Ramjattan

Minister of Public Security, Vice President Khemraj Ramjattan, has led a team to Suriname, for a three-day visit, amid last week’s horrifying attack which saw 20 fishermen thrown overboard during a four-boat rampage by pirates.

Three bodies have been recovered and 12 are missing, said to be Guyanese-born fishermen with a major search ongoing by Surinamese authorities. Desperately worried families have travelled to Suriname or are in Guyana awaiting word about loved ones.        

READ MORE

Guns, drugs and money – the profile of a suspected pirate

Guns, drugs and money – the profile of a suspected pirate

Last Thursday’s arrest of suspected pirates has led to some startling discoveries. Troy Asram, who originally hailed from La Bonne Intention (LBI), East Coast Demerara and has been living in Suriname……  READ MORE

*********

UPDATE: Suriname arrests 13 Guyanese suspects in piracy attacks

Posted by: By Ivan Cairo – Demerara waves – May 7, 2018

PARAMARIBO – Police authorities here confirmed Monday that they have detained thirteen suspects in the ongoing investigation into the recent armed attacks on several fishing boats offshore Suriname.

While several individuals were captured by fishermen most of the suspects, all Guyanese fishermen, were arrested over the weekend at several location by police, Coast Guard and the Bureau for National Security (BNV).

While the thirteen are being questioned about their possible involvement in the recent attacks, several other individuals who were also arrested without proper immigration status were deported to Guyana. Among the detainees is also the son of Somnauth Manohar, a fishing boat owner who was gunned down in March in front of his home in Paramaribo at a drive-by shooting. Sources have indicated that the murder of Manohar sparked the violent attacks on Friday, as part of an ongoing dispute between Guyanese fishermen in Suriname. Relatives of Manohar vowed to retaliate his death.

Meanwhile the Public Prosecutor’s Office has issued a contact ban so that the detainees have no contact with the outside world or their lawyers. This is being done because the investigation is still in its early stages. The restriction can legally last a maximum of fourteen days. In the attacks two Fridays ago twenty fishermen were victims of the assault. So far, three bodies have been recovered and five men have survived the incident.

Saturday the Surinamese minister of Defence announced that the marine of the Surinamese National Army will deploy gun boats to patrol the coastal waters more frequently. Minister Ronni Benschop also said that choppers will assist during these operations. Since the attacks most boat owners recalled their vessels back to the dock until the sea is safe again to venture back out there.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: