Memorial Day Crocodile Tears from Those Who Create Wars by Walter Brasch

by Walter Brasch Writer, Dandelion Salad walterbrasch.com May 29, 2016

A few million Americans may be thinking about it, but won’t be celebrating Memorial Day. For them, there’s not much to celebrate…..

Source: Memorial Day Crocodile Tears from Those Who Create Wars by Walter Brasch

Comments

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 05/30/2016 at 3:14 pm

If we really cared about our war veterans, we would seal the pipeline that creates an endless supply of veterans and cripples our nation. We would end all wars.

• demerwater  On 06/01/2016 at 4:12 pm

It is a crying shame that nothing, nothing at all, has helped mankind to emerge out of the morass of ignorance, greed and the desire to dominate others; at individual (spouse, child and pet abuse) or up the scale to tribal, (dictatorships) and ultimately – world domination!
    But poetic justice may be served; as Venezuela might yet seek the goodwill of the people whose land they covet.
    I cannot understand Legislators who are willing to bring the whole process of Government to a standstill over the “Right to Life” debate; and in the next session commit young lives to some military cause across the globe. We look on in awe at the aerial displays on military prowess … but the inventory of body bags is not ever mentioned.
    It is outside of my comprehension that those who were POW’s and tortured … are the aptly called “Hawks” because of their appetite for more war.
    In Guyana, one of my uncles served in WW2; and I would see other veterans at the Armistice Day ceremonies around the Cenotaph. Here in the USA, I daily see men and women lacking limbs, a deeply introspective employee, (usually a Viet Nam veteran) alone in his memories and thoughts, the VA Center, replete with state of the art medical equipment … and adjoining cemetery.
    “It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell.” William T. Sherman.

• demerwater  On 06/01/2016 at 4:28 pm

I forgot to include this:

• Clyde Duncan  On 06/01/2016 at 5:43 pm

Demerwater: I wish you did not post the photo – it looks like bodies in the ocean; bodies clinging to the side of the sinking ship; and on the upper-right, it looks like the vessel is about to take another hit from a missile?? This is a cold and callous disregard for others …

And to comment on Rosaliene’s post: There is no money in dat!!

That is what it is all about – a form of population control and who gets paid.

• Albert  On 06/01/2016 at 6:06 pm

Interesting this should come from William Sherman. Sherman (March to the Sea) is a Yankee General who took an Army, of some 30,000 or more during the civil war to destroy Southern manufacturing enterprise and help to bring the end of the war. He burn down Atlanta and many southern cities, leaving a path of death and destruction, remember with anger by many southerners to this day.

• demerwater  On 06/02/2016 at 4:37 am

“The ‘shock value’ of an event increases in direct proportion to the observer’s proximity to it.” Or, the closer we are, the clearer the view. I am sure that I am not the first person to say this.
    My first encounter with “shock value” was at the funeral service of Godfrey Teixeira. If I recall correctly, it was Fr. Petrie who said, “…….may your death shock people!” For more context, the bus driver was one of my uncles.
    My second encounter was when the Rio cinema was bombed. I lived in the same square block and my father and I ‘jumped’ at the sound of the explosion which left my ears ringing.
    Maybe when enough people are shocked at the sight of men, women and children – dead and dying; at the sight of the desolation at ground zero; at the sound of a missile approaching and exploding; at the acrid scent after the detonation of high explosives … and the massive indignity of refugees groveling for a “little corner of the planet and quite willing and ready to leave the rest of the world to the rest of the world.” (see P.S.)
    Maybe, just maybe, then, a movement for world peace will begin.
    There is another faint hope. That the world will benefit from more leaders like Obama and Trudeau.
    P.S. The quote is from a train guard on the West Coast Railway. We built a great friendship when I commuted daily between Georgetown and Uitvlugt. There was a third ‘regular’ – a postman (Ramkarran?) who taught me the telegraph alphabet – able, baker, Charlie etc. Then there was Sidney, another T&HD employee who offered protection (he was physically capable of it) on my walk from the Ferry stelling to Albuoystown one Friday afternoon when “things were hot like soup!”