Daily Archives: September 17, 2015

Climate Disruption: Thought of the Week – By Rosaliene Bacchus

Three Worlds One Vision

Hawaii Governor David Ige signs energy bill - 8 June 2015

Hawaii Governor David Ige signs Renewable Energy Bill – June 8, 2015
Photo Credit: Governor of the State of Hawaii Photo Album

Hawaii Leads the Way to 100 Percent Renewable Energy

Governor David Ige today [June 8, 2015] signed into law four energy bills, including one that strengthens Hawaii’s commitment to clean energy by directing the state’s utilities to generate 100 percent of their electricity sales from renewable energy resources by 2045.
~ Press Release, Governor of the State of Hawaii, June 8, 2015

View original post

Large scale gold mining returns to Guyana …Canadian company begins production

Large scale gold mining returns to Guyana

SEPTEMBER 16, 2015 | BY KNEWS | By Desilon Daniels

Aurora-launch2

President David Granger

…Canadian company begins production
The US$250M Aurora Gold Mine (AGM) officially began production yesterday, marking the return of large scale gold mining in Guyana since the departure of OMAI Mines several years ago.
AGM, a project of Canadian-based company Guyana Goldfields Inc. (GGI) marked its entry into the mining sector with its first gold pour held at its Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni location). It is expected that millions of ounces of gold will be produced in just over a decade.

Furthermore, it is hoped that with the re-introduction of large scale gold mining, Guyana will return to the “good times” experienced many years ago, President David Granger said.   Continue reading

UG Chancellor honoured in New York City – September 14, 2015

UG Chancellor honoured in New York City – September 14, 2015

Download: GJFA (NY) Inc. Press Release 9.14.2015

Professor E. Nigel Harris, recently-appointed Chancellor of the University of Guyana, was honored last Saturday night by the Guyana-Jamaica Friendship Association (NY) Inc., for his outstanding leadership and scholarship in the field of Medicine, and visionary management while Vice-Chancellor of the University of the West Indies. The function, held at Antun’s in Queen’s Village, New York, was the organization’s Inaugural Formal Ball.

The Association is a tax-exempt non-profit organization headed by President Frank Denbow, a physician in New Jersey, and Mrs. Claudette Powell, Vice-President, a Nurse Educator who recently was the recipient of the Governor General’s award for exemplary leadership in the health field, on behalf of the Jamaican Diaspora.   Continue reading

GUYANA – Latest News Articles – 17 September 2015

Latest headlines and stories from major news sources:

News Reader: GUYANA: Newspapers and online news  << click here

********

RECENT ARTICLES- Guyana Chronicle – 16 September 2015

GUYANA – Capitol TV News Videos – 15 September 2015

GUYANA – Capitol TV News Videos – 15 September 2015

  • Fake number plates probe ongoing
  • Guyanese drug mule jailed in Antigua
  • NCN customers – Pay up or stay off the airwaves
  • Bourda Market vendors: New arrangements
  • Food Conference: Make food safer
  • Heart Operation – Help needed to save a life5
  • Sports
  • First Kazakhstan Ambassador to CARICOM accredited

Click links below to view the TV News videos:-   Continue reading

Caribbean Graphic – Sept 16 Edition is now available

Caribbean Graphic – Sept 16 Edition is now available

Current Edition highlights
Click here to get the Sept 16 2015 online edition. Click here for the Sept. 16 2015 PDF version, best for offline reading.

Granger’s Guyana Seeking Economic Independence

Remarking that his country can be found on two continents, because “25% of us live in South America while the other 75% live in North America,” Guyana’s President David Arthur Granger, told a Toronto love-in audience of approximately 700 Guyanese Canadians that his new Government was committed to pursuing economic independence for the country in the immediate future.

President Granger, who’s Toronto return was the fulfillment of a promise made during his pre-Election visit last April, told the September 12 Gala Dinner audience that his government is committed to diversifying the country’s economy to make it less reliant on its traditional exports of raw national resources such as sugar, rice, gold and timber. Continue reading