I am Racist and (If You’re White) You Probably Are, Too – by Steven Singer

Published on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 by Common Dreams

I am Racist and (If You’re White) You Probably Are, Too

by Steven Singer   – Comments

I am a white man.   I am racist.

But that’s kind of redundant.

It’s like saying, “I am a fish, and I am soaking wet.

In some ways, I can’t help it. I don’t even notice it. I live my life immersed in a world of white privilege that most of the time I frankly can’t even see.

That doesn’t excuse me. It doesn’t mean I should just shrug and say, “What are you gonna’ do?”

But it does mean that the first step in removing that racism – in undoing the systematic subjugation of people of color – is recognizing my own culpability in that system.

It’s like being an alcoholic. The first step is admitting the truth.

I know I’ve pissed off a lot of people with what I’ve just written. This article isn’t about gaining new friends. But I’m sure I’ll have a lot of death threats to delete from the comments section tomorrow.

The initial reaction white people usually have to being called racist is – Who? Me? I can’t be racist! I have a black friend! I dated a black girl once! I listen to rap music!

Or a whole host of other excuses.

Read more:  I am Racist and (If You’re White) You Probably Are, Too

Comments

• de castro  On 08/04/2015 at 3:36 am

Absolutely “nailed it” Steven Singer.😈

Mia culpa mia culpa !

Twins “racist ad prejudice” which is used by political class to promote “nationalism”

Flag waving in sport tolerated in politics best ignored.

Burn a flag “publicly” and risk being arrested !
    Wave a flag “publicly” afterr vctory and listen to the cheers !

Enjoyed “confessions of a racist” article tremendously.
    Thanks to Guyanese online for publishing / printing.
    Our world is changing will change must change if our species
    are to survive.
    Que sera

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 08/04/2015 at 12:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this article. It’s encouraging to see that there is a growing awareness among American whites of their white privilege and their role in perpetuating racism.

• compton de castro  On 08/04/2015 at 1:53 pm

Rose
      That’s why I love you…..realistically so ! You are a visionary !😄
      Your lapdog…..sit !😀stay 😈
      Hugsxx

• Gigi  On 08/04/2015 at 1:38 pm

According to the author, “Racism is hate plus power.” Keeping this in a total American context and given America’s history, we can see that “hate plus power” was used over the Irish, Italians, Polish, Germans and other white ethnicities to create separation. Does the author think that a white slave woman who was forced to breed with a black male slave to produce the desired mulatto slave felt superior to this black slave? Did powerless white males who were forced to endure this abuse to their sisters and mothers, their “group” felt superior to these black male slaves?

Once again we have these privileged white males stoking the fires of racism under the pretense of white guilt. Where is the white guilt for white atrocities against whites? The fact that they refuse to acknowledge or cannot bring themselves to talk about this is proof of exactly what their agenda is. All this BS about racial guilt does it feed into their white privilege superiority complex. Would talking about white against white atrocities feed into their white privileged superiority complex? NO!

• compton de castro  On 08/04/2015 at 2:21 pm

Gigi
    That’s why I love you too…..realistically so.😄
    Not wishing to “disagree” will say every coin has two sides.
    Every story different message…..ending.
    Superior complexities vary in every culture and we are all
    culturally different individually so.

You do have an axe to grind which sometimes “scare” me.
    Since tribal times of existence “prejudices” were ever present
    which may have later transgressed into “colour” or “class” different nces.
    Today it takes a certain level of enlightenment to not hate our
    fellow humans as the political class tries to divide us.

Whites are no more superior than blacks….neither are black’s more superior than whites. The differences are more a “class” issue than a colour one.
    Culturally and individually we are all different which makes us all unique
    as a species. Stereo typing the stigmata.

Do enjoy your “questioning” the “norm” but sometimes we are allowed to differ….
    Ying and yang Y and Z cromos.😈😇
    Write on babes
    Always entertaining
    Hugsxx

• Ram Jagessar  On 08/04/2015 at 4:28 pm

This is just nonsense.
    Mirriam Webster gives what is in my opinion an excellent description of racism, which comes in two parts. Part 1 is ACTIVE racism, meaning poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race. Part 2 is often described as prejudice, or the belief that some races of people are better than others.
    Part 1 racism is what you actively do to people because of their race, and Part 2 is what you think of X or Y race.
    If the author is guilty of Part 1 racism, then he has committed criminal offences and should properly turn himself in to the police.
    If he confesses he is guilty of Part 2 racism ie prejudice, well welcome to the human race, Bubba and you may go free. That is an ethical or moral offence, and you must make your own amends.

• Thinker  On 08/04/2015 at 5:40 pm

It is completely foolish to imagine that only people of a particular group can be racist, in whatever context. Are all men necessarily sexist too?

• Clyde Duncan  On 08/04/2015 at 9:45 pm

Racism is defined as a doctrine or ideology that, combined with behaviour, categorizes groups as intellectually or morally inferior; and therefore makes them a target of unequal treatment.

The doctrine of racism is usually based on perceived physical and genetic characteristics that serve to classify groups as inferior.

Therefore, racism is about maintaining power and control of one’s own group over another.

• de castro  On 08/05/2015 at 5:19 am

A racist can be described as having a “superiority” or “inferiority” complex
    in language of physiologists…..needing therapeutic help !😀

No one is born a racist !

• Clyde Duncan  On 08/05/2015 at 6:13 am

Shirley Chisholm: “I met far more discrimination as a woman, than because I am black.”