Down Liberty Avenue! By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Down Liberty Avenue! By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

L iberty Avenue in Queens, New York, is the center of the universe for many immigrants. It is the Middle Earth where worlds converge and where opinions vary as to where the next trend or revolution might be. It is the Avenue where dreams are born, money is made and lost, parades take place and die in ignominy, where temples change hands and the elevator will eventually connect to the subway at Lefferts Boulevard and to Manhattan.

The sights and sounds on Liberty Avenue are a unique blend of curry and spices, roti and doubles and the music-men belching out bhajans, reggae, hip-hop and chutney songs while the Korean shopkeepers address their customers as ‘mamoos’ and know more about jhandis than the average Mandir-goer.

Liberty Avenue is the transit and the hub where worlds meet and everyone has an opinion about some event that has happened or is likely to cause more than a ripple. It is on the Ave.

Read more: Down Liberty Avenue – By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Liberty Avenue, Queens New York NY USA – Click to enlarge

Liberty Avenue, Queens New York NY USA

Liberty Avenue, Queens New York NY USA – Click to enlarge

Comments

• de castro  On June 17, 2015 at 3:59 am

Have never visited the “big apple” but will certainly programme my sat nav to find it on my visit…..not to mention “statue of liberty” also a must see tourist attraction.😇

The american dream
    Liberty or freedom.

Stalingrad (aka St Petersburg) another must visit on my travel plans.

Que Sera
    Kamtan

• Thinker  On June 17, 2015 at 6:26 am

Leningrad is the former name of St. Petersburg. Stalingrad is now Volgograd.

• de castro  On June 17, 2015 at 9:44 am

Nice one history and geography lesson in one….
    Thanks brother…
    My son just returned from Moscow…..loved it but “vodkaholic” capital.
    -30 in winter would drive most to drink…😀

Russian women are exceptionally pretty and clever….met many in ElEjido
    near me in Spain.

Putin’s ambassadors.😈

• Gigi  On June 17, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I see why young folks detest emoticons…too many old folks invading their medium and ruining it with overkill.

I last visited this neck of the woods back in April. The inconveniences suffered traveling on the A line were too much of a hassle to worth the trouble of visiting again. Though I do miss the food, I have not yet succumb to wanton gluttony. Perhaps one day. It seems the American thing to do.

“America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.” ― Oscar Wilde

I am currently reading Oscar Wilde’s, A Picture of Dorian Gray since my daughter proclaimed “Mom, you absolutely have to read it!’ and shoved her Nook in my hands to get to it. So I’m on an Oscar Wilde kick and find this next quote relevant to this thread.

“There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.”
    ― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

• de castro  On June 18, 2015 at 3:53 am

Gigi
    Question
    So which “category” are you…nothing personal…just asking ?

Categorisating people is “silly stuff” as we are all”different” “unique”

As per our DNA

• Gigi  On June 18, 2015 at 9:43 pm

de castro, I belong to the boring category. Not enough to be fascinating but enough to be jaded and cynical and a dreadful bore.

No worries…I actually like you. You’re my favourite on this site but I make it a point not to personally engage with people because I often feel pressured to agree with them even when I don’t, which is not intellectually stimulating.

• de castro  On June 19, 2015 at 12:52 am

Understandably so….female defence mechanism.
    May also add familiarity breathes contempt.
    Fortunately am a heart and soul person but also a wise old fox 🐺

Disagree ….don’t think you are “boring” at least not by your comments on this blog.😇i try not to be judgemental in my assessment of people and prefer
    “Disagreements” than “agreements” as I learn more.
    Incidentally I like the “fight” in spirit of discussion/learnig that’s why
    I like you.

And yes you are also most entertaining in your comments.
    Write on……😄also love the name gigi

Compton aka kamtan in Guyanese twango.😀