Jagdeo must go if PPP is to revive- Clinton Urling

Jagdeo must go if PPP is to revive- Clinton Urling

Clinton Urling

Clinton Urling

Sunday, 31 May 2015 07:58  -Written by  Denis Scott Chabrol

People’s Progressive Party Civic (PPPC) candidate, Clinton Urling has blamed former President Bharrat Jagdeo for the party’s defeat at the polls earlier this month and said the time has come for him to take a back seat if the party is to be rebuilt.

Urling predicts that the PPP will face a difficult task  in rebuilding itself if Jagdeo remains the de facto leader. “Moreover, it would be difficult to attract, and in my case retain, the type of people who can help reinvent the party. Plainly stated, the party has to move on without Jagdeo if it is to ever recapture its former political prestige,” said Urling.

Observing that Jagdeo played a central role in the party’s political campaign strategies, Urling called for Jagdeo to take a back seat. “For many within the party, while the loss was disappointing it also presented an opportunity for rebirth, redemption and change in the way in which the party operates.

It justifiably should have been the start of a complete break from the politics of Jagdeo and his loyal circle within the PPP,” said Urling in a letter in the privately-owned Stabroek News newspaper.

The city businessman said that following the PPP’s defeat at the May 11, 2015 general and regional elections, the party’s Robb Street-based Freedom House headquarters was a ghost town and little was being told to any party candidate or supporter.

At the same time, Urling said senior and junior party members appeared to blame Jagdeo directly for the PPP’s defeat. “ There was no place where I turned that I did not hear party members and supporters whisper and angrily criticize Jagdeo’s divisive campaign rhetoric,” he said.

The former President of the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) and founding Chairman of Blue CAPS, a non-governmental organisation, said that from most accounts the PPP is now in tatters.  “The general belief was that under his presidency the party lost its way from being a “wholesome” political organisation which attracted many friends and allies to becoming one where perceptions of impropriety and corruption had created ominous clouds over the party’s image,”  he said.

On Nomination Day when Urling was questioned about his decision to become a candidate in the face of allegations of corruption, Urling had asked for critics to show him the evidence.

Despite the seeming negative role that Jagdeo has cost the PPP, Urling  said Jagdeo “took charge of the party, insistent on shaping the post-elections narrative and was firmly back in command.”

“This did not – and still does not – go down well with many members. Many whisper behind his back or choose their words carefully when addressing any forum where he has been included, but none would dare say to him directly how they felt. As I write this, the displeasure that he is still firmly in charge of the party does not sit well with many. However, for reasons I still cannot comprehend, many are reluctant to call him out and challenge him visibly or publicly,” said Urling.

The former Guyanese leader recently remarked that “the base wants me” and that is why he was back in the political limelight including being a candidate for his party.

CLINTON URLING’S LETTER and COMMENTS – Stabroek News:

Comments

• John S. Lewis  On May 31, 2015 at 10:56 am

THUS SAYETH THE LORD IN YEAR 1993

“Harold, look a man standing by the empty lot. He’s a stranger. Find out what he doing around here,”
    Glysis ordered her henpecked husband.
    “Gly, you can’t see that man is a madman?” Harold pointed out.
    “Madman? I know all the madmen on this riverbank; and I never see one riding bicycle and wearing
    wrist-watch.”
    “Alright-alright, I going down and talk to him.”
    The tall, gaunt figure, dressed in clean but rumpled, washed-out clothing; observed Harold approaching
    and turned to face him. There was a severity in the countenance, and an intensity in the eyes so great
    that Harold had to avert his gaze.
    “Good-day,” said the stranger. “Who is the owner of this plot of land, I wish to purchase it.”
    “A woman named Pearson. She’s a Matron at the St. James Hospital.”
    “Can you describe her for me please?”
    “She’s medium height, and very fair in complexion….”

The next day, at the St. James Hospital:-
    “Good-day, my friend. May I see Matron Pearson?”
    The Receptionist lifted her eyes from her desk and saw what she was taught to be untidiness;
    immediately she unconsciously decided to treat him with disrespect. “Nobody by that name works
    here!” she barked, and dropped her eyes back to her desk.
    The visitor craned his neck and saw that she was reading the Book of Kings; concerning the story of
    Solomon. “Did you notice that Solomon prayed when he needed spiritual gifts of wisdom, knowledge
    and understanding; but he did that before he sacrificed blood to acquire material things?” The
    Receptionist lifted her eyes then, and saw beyond the clothes. “You’re here now to sacrifice blood to
    gain a salary; but you’re not doing that, you’re reading. Also, you did not seek and obtain spiritual gifts
    or else you would not have treated me like a dog.”
    She closed her Bible.
    “What else do you wish to know sir?” she asked, humbled.
    “Was she employed here? Do you know how I can contact her?”
    “Please wait here for a while; let me find out from the Administrator.”
    The woman got up and entered the Administrator’s office. Fifteen minutes passed, yet she did not
    return with answers to his questions; however, during that time, about three different faces had
    peeked at him from inside that office.
    Eventually, the Administrator oozed forth, and after an unsuccessful attempt to uncover the visitor’s
    reason to meet with the Matron, he requested the man’s name and phone number which he promised he
    would pass on to Matron Pearson when she arrived for duty.
    The visitor left, baffled. He felt something was amiss, but he did not know what.

Three days later, during the night, the man had the following spiritual experience:-
    “I am in a building I’ve never visited before…entering what looks like a private study yet it also looks like
    a medical clinic—there was this appearance of sterility; everything seemed to be white and well
    organized as in a hospital. The room exuded a discipline devoid of emotional warmth. My attention is
    swiveled to a young man of Indian features, wearing black-framed tinted glasses. He is sitting, like a
    student at a desk; but the guy is turning this way and that way as would one who is of unsound mind.
    I detect another male presence in the room; a lecturer, it seems… but the Indian student is inattentive.
    Wait a minute! There’s a voice coming from the student’s chest! It’s saying: `I crave blood…’ Suddenly a
    woman dressed in white uniform, in the likeness of a nurse, manifests. Why does she seem familiar? I
    know why—she fits the description given me of Matron Pearson!

“Someone takes me by the arm; it’s the nurse bearing the likeness of the Matron. “Come, let me show
    you the future,” and she led me through a doorway. Immediately, I seem to be like a bird looking
    down at the capital city . What’s all this uproar? A massive crowd of protesters are chasing an Ind…it’s
    the very guy from the classroom/clinic—the unsound Indian! He’s running like a madman, like the flight
    of a butterfly, but obviously terrified by the rabble. “Stop him! Stop him!” the angry people shouted.

“What the…! He’s climbing up an electricity power pole, as swiftly as a monkey! Hold on! This is
    no ordinary power pole—this one reaches up to the clouds! The people are open-mouthed
    with astonishment; they’re gazing up at him. He’s now looking down at them with mockery and
    that mischievous aura known to monkeys out of reach in trees….but this seems…oh my god!
    He’s about to pull down an electrical switch…there it goes. The entire city is now in darkness.

“I am now walking in a street in the city. The atmosphere is humming with high- voltage electricity,
    which is why I’m walking with my arms pasted to my sides like a zombie, afraid to touch any
    conductor of electricity. No…it can’t get worse. Dear God, a great wind-storm is coming
    across the seawalls! I begin to look about wildly for a place of refuge… mighty trees are
    tumbling, uprooted by the winds! They’re falling all about me, missing me by a few feet! There,
    a house. I rush towards it to escape certain death.

“Standing under the house, I’m now assessing my current status: the house is old fashioned,
    infested with wood-ants and certainly shouldn’t be able to withstand the storm; but the winds
    are not even shaking it!
    ‘John!’ my heart stops. Did someone call my name? Timidly, I peep out to look up the
    stairs. I couldn’t believe my eyes. In the midst of the storm, a man dressed in an unruffled, snow-white
    robe, and a turban; is descending those stairs as graceful as a swan in a tourist ad. In his right hand is a
    scroll; in his left, a left-side bedroom slipper. Somehow I know he is bringing something for
    me; so I reach for the scroll; maybe the writer’s inclination. “No, you already know this. Take
    this. It belongs to the man on the power pole,” and he offers the left-side bedroom slipper.
    As I take hold of it, he adds: “This is how you’ll stop him…” and he points to the inside of the
    slipper where the heel rests. There I focus intensely, and gradually make out the digits: 66…I
    continue focusing intensely…the next digit is bruised from wear; but it is a 6…consciousness
    over-rides my subconscious as a result of my focus, so I awaken. I am shaken; I reach for my note
    pad and pen.”

Another attempt was made to meet with Matron Pearson, to no avail. At that stage of events, even with
    a bad head cold he could’ve smelled something foul in the air.
    Charged by the spirit, the man who before was regarded as a madman was being swiftly promoted to
    the realms of insanity— no one wanted to hear of the approaching tribulations; they’d had enough. He
    was called all sorts of derogatory names by the general public he attempted to communicate with;
    and on numerous occasions he came close to being dealt with violently. Relatively few seriously listened
    to him, and even less believed that his prophecy would come to pass. Unfortunately, those few
    believers were Rasta; ones referred to as Spiritualists; and other roots persons–all without political
    influence.

Thus it was that the self-proclaimed prophet visited a black conscious leader well known for his past
    mystical feats. Expectations plummeted when the dreamer glimpsed the leader in a meeting in which
    he was surrounded by the enemy of his people. A brother who was acting as receptionist actually
    hinted that black- conscious matters should no longer be confided in that particular leader; but
    the dreamer needed help to interpret the ‘bedroom slipper’, so he ignored the hint. Unfortunately, the
    brother was right. All he got from that political leader were the words: “
    ‘So young!’ Then, waving
    a written version of the dream, he added: ‘This is not for us to do.’ However, he kept that copy of the
    dream.

The Prophet next visited the main opposition political party office, and deposited a copy of the
    dream, addressed to the Editor of their newspapers. He watched and waited, as time marched on; but
    nobody among the political leadership heard his warning; and no known politician fit the description of
    the man on the power pole . Utterly frustrated, and a bit disappointed with his God, the brother
    retreated from the presence of human beings.

For many months Rasputin, as some dubbed him, remained alone and undisturbed in a forested area,
    until one evening when a hunter passed through and left a week-old newspapers. After the visitor left,
    the lonely man eagerly unfolded the edition…goose pimples burst out upon his skin—there on the front
    page was that man who in the dream, had climbed the power pole as swiftly as a monkey! He was now
    President of the Nation! And he had done it with unprecedented swiftness and mockery of the
    People and the laws of the land. In short, prophecy was being fulfilled. But at what cost? For example,
    was the nurse’s appearance in the dream meant to be a hint that Matron Pearson is dead? That the
    dream could’ve been her attempt from the ‘other side’ to reveal an evil political plot she’d been forced
    to comply with?
    Staring at the President’s photograph led to the wild galloping of his imagination, until in tears he began
    to pray: “God Almighty, why show me these terrible things, without giving me the power to thwart
    them….” and his tears fell upon the photograph of whom to him was a sure servant of the Beast.

• ndtewarie  On May 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm

However, for reasons, ” I still cannot comprehend, many are reluctant to call him out and challenge him visibly or publicly,” said Urling.
    Yes Mr Urling, many are scared out of their wits and their hand-outs if they criticize the Brown KABAKA. And there you have it in a nut-hell. Remember what happened to good people who opposed him?

I once criticized Burnham and God knows he was no saint, but Jagdeo made look like a boyscout when compared to the shenanigans of the PPP and Jagdeo, not forgetting that other idiot Donald (Duck)Ramoutar.
    But as my niece usually say “Uncle , this too shall pass”

• Linda  On May 31, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I don’t think that the PPP will have to worry about Jagdeo. I have a feeling he’ll be running soon.

• Gigi  On May 31, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Says Mr dunce cap, turn blue cap, turn red cap, turn clown juggling caps. The PPP was ousted through rigged election because it wasn’t following the dictates of the ABC countries – which is “your power is tied to letting us rape and plunder your country’s resources. ” Wasn’t this guy a vocal supporter – making a clown of himself in his antics towards the Guyanese govt at a US embassy gathering – of the US and the outgoing US ambassador, Hardt, when said US and the PPP/C govt were engaged in a public spat. This guy was played and laughed at by the US embassy that, most likely, convinced him to join forces with the PPP/C knowing fully well that the election was going to be rigged to oust it. He got a dose of what blacks in America got and is continuing to get under Obama. And so it goes…

Interesting article worth reading:

Nkurunziza’s Return to the Political Scene: When the International Community Encourages Dictatorship

“The African people can, from now on, learn this lesson: As long as a dictator doesn’t attack the interests of the West, he can massacre his people however he wants and whenever he wants. It is up to Burundians to assert themselves as the Burkinabes did on Oct. 30 and Oct. 31, 2014. Because the slave, as Thomas Sankara said, who is not aware that he can rid himself of his chains, “doesn’t deserve for us to feel sorry for him. Only struggle liberates.””

• Thinker  On May 31, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Up to very recently, Urling supposedly had not made up his mind which party he was going to support. His words would be more credible coming from someone of long standing in the PPP.

• ndtewarie  On May 31, 2015 at 12:56 pm

IT IS TIME ©

After 23 years of marching backwards
      With a government acting like cowards
      The people found out there’s a hole in the cup
      When they spoke Jagdeo told them to shut up
      If you oppose the Gov’t you get a good slap
      Was told off by the boss that Ramotar chap
      And some may even cuss you out
      Especially when you heckle or shout
      They got fat, lazy and brazen too my brother
      Question them and you get the middle finger
      They spent like money running out of print
      As they did with the failed Amelia Falls stint
      Then without thinking wearing their dunce cap
      They built the Marriott hotel in the midst of crap
      They showed no accountancy or no transparency
      Spending and pocketing the tax payers money
      Sharing out contracts and jobs through nepotism
      All the time pretending to hold on to socialism
      Cussing down by ministers brought out their fang
      Existence of evil in the Party caused it’s untergang
      Its time as the people stated in the last election
      A new beginning thrusting a forward direction
      Never allow the poor to get poorer they all will moan
      If you try to ride 2 asses you bound to fall on your own1
      Tears of evil and wrong doings may not make a sound
      But when culprits go free and justice cannot be found
      Eh when eye-pass turn to rass pass
      Karma going to bite you in the ass
      Let this be a warning to all looking for a majority
      Remember your past pay attention to your History
      Thanks
      Raj.

• guyaneseonline  On June 1, 2015 at 5:15 am

The thing about Jagdeo that Clinton Urling wants to understanding
    June 1, 2015 | By KNews | Filed Under Features / Columnists, Freddie Kissoon

I was about to step upon the podium to speak at an APNU-AFC campaign meeting on Station Street, Kitty when I got a call from Mr. Glenn Lall. I told him I would have to call him back. Glenn said he was in a discussion with others and the debate centered why Jagdeo had such formidable power over other PPP leaders. He wanted to hear my explanation.
    Clinton Urling in a letter yesterday that must have caused cynical smile in all Guyanese who read it wrote that he cannot comprehend why Jagdeo is so powerful in the party. Urling’s piece on Jagdeo’s role in the just concluded election campaign has described what most analysts knew – he is the king who decides everything.
    If Urling looks hard and devote some hours to studying the twelve years of Jagdeo’s hegemony, he would come to grips with the nature of the PPP leadership that Jagdeo came and met and the reality of who and what is the PPP. The most important thing to note about the rise of Jagdeo’s monarchy is that the leaders he met in the PPP after 1992 had the potential to become corrupt and venal and the potential to accept gifts and perks. But the situation wasn’t there for such instincts to come alive under Cheddi Jagan and Mrs Jagan.
    Both Cheddi Jagan and Mrs Jagan were upset with high-level PPP cadres who were engaged in corruption but the Jagans were helpless to act. Mrs. Jagan remonstrated with the late Navin Chandrapaul over his alleged bribe-taking from OMAI gold company. When he built a mansion in Pradoville after just a few years as Presidential Advisor on the Environment, Mrs. Jagan refused to visit his residence.
    With the rise of Jagdeo in the presidency, Jagdeo saw his chance of dominating the PPP through the use of state patronage. From the top to the bottom of the first tier leadership, from the top to the bottom of the second tier leadership, Mr. Jagdeo stuffed those personnel with enormous handouts that were handsome and prodigious. But Jagdeo was smarter than we gave him credit for.
    You can give a man a car and he would be grateful but if you give his daughter a job, he would forever be grateful. What Jagdeo did was that he set about patronizing the families and relatives of the first and second tier leadership of the PPP. If a forensic audit is done on the complete scholarship programmes of the Public Service Ministry and all senior public sector positions with salaries that came from international organizations, one would be amazed at the pathological levels of incestuousness under Jagdeo.
    One day I was at the arrival lounge at the airport waiting for my relatives, next to me was the current Minister of Finance, Winston Jordan. He described for me the type of persons in the entire public service that were in receipt of employment paid for by international organizations and foreign governments. They were part of a patronage system by the Jagdeo government.
    It is public knowledge that while Jagdeo was President, Mr. Ramotar’s son and daughter held very high-paying jobs- the daughter was in charge of he USAID-funded Justice Improvement Project, the son, the fiber-optic cable project. The children of PPP big-wigs were awarded scholarships to top western universities; none went to Cuba.
    It is also public knowledge that before Ralph Ramkarran parted company with the PPP, his law firm, Cameron and Shepard, did most of the complex and important legal cases for the state. While on the Council of the University, I argued for four consecutive years that UG replace Cameron and Shepard because its fees were too costly but I was rejected.
    It was in the realm of corruption that Jagdeo sealed the fate of the entire PPP leadership. Ministers were falling prey to corrupt practices like mangoes from a tree on a Guysuco estate. Jagdeo used this in a brilliant Machiavellian stroke to create intense loyalty from every major first level and second level PPP leader.
    Traditional mandarins and new comers in the PPP were building mansions with swimming polls with corrupt money. These monarchs were accumulating assets on a massive scale and Jagdeo encouraged it. I remember having lunch at the Grill on Thomas Lands with my very good friend, Bert Wilkinson. He said, “Freddie, I don’t know why y’all think the PPP care about losing power; they have money that can’t run out” Urling needs to know that. Jagdeo got his way and will get his way because wealthy PPP leaders are loyal to him.

• Ram Jagessar  On June 1, 2015 at 8:39 am

It’s not Jagdeo who has to be thrown out of the PPP, but the PPP ideology itself that must be thrown out if the PPP’s loyal supporters are to get their just desserts, From the very start the PPP has taken the wrong direction for a political party and it’s still going the wrong way today.

Confused? Let’s see now, exactly what is a political party? Wikipedia has a decent explanation: “A political party is an organization of people which seeks to achieve goals common to its members through the acquisition and exercise of political power. How does that apply to the PPP?

From Day 1 Cheddi and Janet and the gang have set up the PPP as a Marvist-Leninist revolutionary party with the goal of serving the interests of the working class, and against the interests of the petty bourgeoisie capitalist class. No dispute about that, I presume.

So the PPP would be quite in order if the majority of its members were of the working class, if they were inclined to be left wing revolutionaries of the Marxist Leninist persuasion.

Here we have a problem. From the start and up to today the majority of the PPP support has been East Indian Guyanese of all classes across the board, and the minority support coming from the Africans who were mostly working class.

Were most of the East Indians working class then, either by fact or by inclination? No, only a tiny portion of the East Indians were sugar workers of the working class. The majority of them were small farmers, big farmers, small business people, big business people, professionals like lawyers, doctors, accountants dentists like Cheddi himself, yes yes yes, the very petty bourgeoisie that Cheddi was blasting in his meetings day and night. They were the furthest thing from left wing revolutionary Marxist Leninists! They were by nature the opposite, conservative, individualistic and yes capitalistic. We know that most did not understand the slightest bit about Das Kapital, dictatorship of the proletariat, Marxism Leninism, revolutionary socialism and the like. They were supporting Cheddi Jagan because they saw him as a fellow Indian who was coming to rescue them from the misery in which Indians had wallowed for decades.

Here is the core of the problem of the PPP. It has never served the interests of the majority of its East Indian supporters, but has instead attacked the petty bourgeoisie ideals of that same majority of East Indian supporters. It is not now, and not ever, served the common interests of its members!

When it came to the Africans the PPP in the beginning was correctly serving the interests of what was and is primarily a working class group. But the Africans didn’t last long in the PPP. When Burnham left the PPP the Africans went with him pretty much en masse, and joined the “working class” socialist PNC where they remain to this day.

From the early sixties the PPP has continued with the ideology of a a working class revolutionary Marxist Leninist party but the stupid reality of having a majority of East Indian members who were NOT working class, NOT revolutionary, NOT Marxist Leninist! It was not serving the interests of its members, but instead serving the interests of the African working class who supported another party, and a small minority of East Indian sugar workers who were themselves petty bourgeoisie by nature!

You see what I mean when I say the PPP has never been a genuine political party. You may understand now why the party under Cheddi gave “critical support” to the openly racist PNC- he saw the PNC as a fellow working class party! When he regained political power in 1992, why didn’t Cheddi arrest and jail a shipload of corrupt, racist PNC goons? Couldn’t do it to fellow working class socialist brothers, you know. Why didn’t he crack down on the PNC thugs, choke and rob artists, Friday evening rioters who loved to attack Indians and burn down business on Water Street? Those were not thugs, but confused fellow working class socialists!

Luckily, Jagdeo was not so foolish as Cheddi and Janet. He took the pragmatic approach and slapped down those PNC thugs and rioters, the PNC trade unions and PNC inclined big brass in the army and police, no matter what was their alleged working class socialist ideology. And for a while Guyana took the prosperity road as the Indian petty bourgeoisis flourished, while the PPP itself continued to give lip service to the working class agenda not shared by most of their members.

Guyana’s East Indians are not stupid, you know. The petty bourgeoisie among them and the petty bourgeoisie inclined, have always sensed that the PPP has been hostile to their interests, and was in fact governing in the interests of the enemy, the African working class which in practice means the Africans as a whole.

So where does the PPP go from here? Down the drain is my guess. Brave souls should throw the whole smelly mess into the pit of history’s failures, and start over with a new party that from day 1 decides to serve the true common interests of its members. And if those interests are petty bourgeois and capitalistic, then so be it. Reality wins out over self delusion in the end.

• Thinker  On June 2, 2015 at 10:36 am

It would be interesting for Guyanese to comment on the statement that the PPP was governing in the interests of the enemy i.e Aro-Guyanese. Mr Jagessar has his own definition of what constitutes working class. I suspect very strongly that this is at variance with the PPP view or any generally accepted political view of what defines the working class. Not valid for Trinidad either as one would have to wonder about the degree to which Ms.Kamla Persad Bissessar and her predecessors represent the petit bougeoisie.primarily.

• Ram Jagessar  On June 2, 2015 at 11:21 am

Quite interesting how Thinker completely misses the point of my comment.
    Which was that the PPP had from the beginning and even today failed to seek the interests of the majority of its members (the East Indians), and has adopted a working class more suitable for the mostly working class Afros who have not supported the PPP for more than 50 years.

Let me go over in simple parts for the benefit of the intellectually deprived such as Thinker.
    1. A political party seeks the goals common to its members, or at least the majority of its members. All agreed there?
    2. PPP is a political with a clear majority of its members coming from the East Indian community. The PPP has always adopted a working class, Marxist Leninist revolutionary socialist ideology. One would assume that the majority of the PPP supporters would be working class in fact or ideology, and also favourable to Marxist Leninist revolutionary socialism- if the PPP were functioning as a political party.
    3. However, the majority of the East Indians are not working class,ie salaried persons employed by various companies or commercial enterprises. The clear majority of East Indians were business people, farmers, fishermen, self employed professionals or service people ie NOT salaried workers. They are more capitalist in activity and mentality, and a far cry from revolutionary socialists of the Marxist Leninist persuasion. Even the East Indians who are in the salaried worker class (like the sugar workers) tend to have a conservative, capitalistic mentality. The majority of Afros are actually working class and favourable to working class ideology, but most of them have not supported the PPP since the sixties. Are we still okay here?
    4. By definition therefore the PPP with its working class Marxist Leninist ideology has failed miserably to support the goals of its majority East Indian members, who are generally NOT working class Marxist Leninists. It has failed as a political party in the most important task of a political party. The PPP has stuck to its working class ideology that is better suited to the African community, which does not support the PPP at least for the last 50 years. Guyana politics has been essentially race politics with the East Indians and the Africans as mutual enemies. By having an ideology more relevant to the Africans than its own East Indians, the PPP has been serving the interests of the enemy.

Now what is there about this explanation that Thinker and his ilk cannot understand?

• Ron. Persaud  On June 2, 2015 at 6:58 pm

But when I remember 1953 – the exhilaration of the East Indian and Negro working people; and the chagrin of the colonial power, the local rich, the landed gentry, there has to be another, more complex explanation for the course of events between then and now.
    The PPP split into the “Jaganite” and “Burnhamite” factions certainly could have been engineered by the British whose modus operandi “Divide & Rule” seems to have been the glue that held their empire together.
    The USA took a hand in things when the articulated ideology of Dr. Jagan appeared to lean heavily to the Soviet Union.
    Consider
    -white sharkskin suits and red ties as the newly elected marched over to the Public Building.
    -the statement, “We have friends with rockets!”
    -naming his first born after Joseph Stalin.
    No wonder the RD article “British Guiana – another Cuba in the making” and a cartoon in an American newspaper depicting a double barrel cannon pointing at the United States from the south. One barrel was inscribed ‘Cuba’ and the other ‘British Guiana’.
    When Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were accused (and executed) of spying against the US, speculation was rife that they were related to Janet Jagan whose maiden surname happened to be the same as theirs.
    And the news that spread like wildfire “Jagan admits he is a communist.” He had admitted to the Wynn Parry Commission that he believed in the communist tenet, “From each according to his ability; to each according to his need”
    I am sorry, there are no simple parts and … I am not intellectually deprived.
    Finally, it is quite distressing to me, at the personal level, to observe the deterioration of the conversation on this forum.
    We are a civilized people, living in a civilized world. Surely we can be civil to each other.

• ndtewarie  On June 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Let’s take a break and think before we talk or act. eh man!

Now hear this:

USED vs. LOVED

While a man was polishing his new car, his 6 yr old son picked up a stone and scratched lines on the side of the car. In anger, the man took the child’s hand and hit it many times; not realizing he was using a wrench. At the hospital, the child lost all his fingers due to multiple fractures. When the child saw his father…..with painful eyes he asked, ‘Dad when will my fingers grow back?’ The man was so hurt and speechless; he went back to his car and kicked it a lot of times. Devastated by his own actions…….sitting in front of that car he looked at the scratches; the child had written ‘LOVE YOU DAD’.The next day that man committed suicide. . .
    Anger and Love have no limits; choose the latter to have a beautiful, lovely life….. Things are to be used and people are to be loved. But the problem in today’s world is that, People are used and things are loved…. In this year, let’s be careful to keep this thought in mind: Things are to be used, but People are to be loved.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits they become character;Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. I’m glad a friend forwarded this to me as a reminder. God bless you. If you don’t pass this on nothing bad will happen; but if you do, you might change someone’s life.
    Do u know the relationship between your two eyes? They blink together, move together, cry together, see things together & sleep together. Even though they never see each other. Friendship should be just like that! Life is vanity without FRIENDS. IT’S “WORLD BEST FRIENDS WEEK”.

Just because you were knocked down doesn’t mean that you can’t get back up.
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

Thanks beautiful Guyanese!
    NDTewarie

• Thinker  On June 3, 2015 at 5:16 am

All I can say is that it is very interesting to see the reaction of the editor of indo-Caribbean World (Toronto) to my comments about how class might have been viewed within the PPP. It is not difficult for me and my ilk to get the point that followers of the PPP never believed in Marxism. Neither for that matter did the followers of the PNC. Jagan came into prominence because of his commitment to the interests of the sugar workers, despite the machinations of his rivals in the MPCA, etc. Whether his ideology was more suited to the interests of salaried workers of whatever ethnicity is highly irrelevant. Young people were encouraged to accept Marxism and scholarships to the Eastern bloc were offered to many. The PPP was obviously never, strictly speaking, a communist party. Fenton Ramsahoye stated that it was primarily a nationalist party. Obviously due to the ethnic divide it wasnt seen as such. So all this talk about the Afro-Guyanese enemy is neither here nor there. Organising Indian sugar workers was what initially led to political following in both Trinidad and Guyana. The status of the ethnic enemy, the Afros, doesnt matter. Ideology never had the opportunity to serve the interests of the enemy despite whatever argument on paper might make it appear so. It is a Don Quixote windmill. It has to be established how exactly and specifically the PPP failed to look after the interest of Indians as a whole.But let the insults (one-sided) continue. We can get good insight into the thinking of a community leader. Let us hear what his analysis of Trindad is and how it differs from Guyana. What about the enemy over there?