Guyanese in the USA: Are East Indians at war with themselves? – By Paul Sanders

Albert Baldeo

Albert Baldeo and Ed Ahmad

A sneak preview of a brutally frank and introspective column by Paul Sanders to be published in the Caribbean Daylight (precipitated by the conviction of Albert Baldeo last Monday), on the shopping list of Guyanese who have screwed over their fellow countrymen and run afoul of the law in the United States.

Introspection: Are East Indians at war with themselves?

By Paul Sanders – Caribbean Daylight, NY  – February 2015

I’ve been thinking…..
And I have thought long and hard whether I should write this. Last week Thursday, I had this same conversation with a good friend, Sankar Nirahu. He challenged me into making this my next writing project. He died 24 hours after that exchange. This piece is dedicated to his memory.

We all wish to bounce around happily with our political correctness, filled with warm euphemisms, ready to hide our conscience, closing our eyes to the truth under the pretext that if we don’t see it then it doesn’t exist.

We want to be shaken and stirred – but not too much. We want to be guilt-schlepped – but not too much. We want to be provoked – but not too much. We want to be transformed – but not too much.

Yeah, I get it. But as an East Indian I have a compelling obligation, a responsibility to articulate what is in my heart, and what I passionately believe must be said and heard.

And it comes with a good measure of soul searching. And so I am guided not by what is easy to say but by what is painful to express. I am guided not by what is frivolous but by the serious. I am guided not by delicacy but by urgency.

East Indians are at war. We are at war with an enemy as savage, as voracious, as heartless as ISIS but one wouldn’t know it from our behavior. Evil – ultimate, irreconcilable evil has threatened us; and it seems that our pandits and imams have no moral clarity nor an exquisite understanding of what is at stake.

[Read more: Are East Indians at war with themselves ]

Comments

• albert  On 02/09/2015 at 9:38 am

This is an area I knew well some 10-12 years ago. Its largely about greed and to make more money than each other. Almost all the fellows I know want to be millionaires.

Hope Gigi grow up and read the parts about rape.

• Erwin Brewster  On 02/09/2015 at 11:42 am

No. They are at war for themselves.

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 02/09/2015 at 12:14 pm

Paul Sanders, thanks for this expose. They eye get big wid all dat money in New York.

• Eileen Russell  On 02/09/2015 at 12:25 pm

Someone had to attempt to expose the corruption and selfishness of most Guyanese businessmen and women…and PAUL SANDERS…hats off to you..one man who has the courage to write this article..You have only scratched the surface of corruption and bribery in Guyana…its disgusting and embarrassing to decent citizens, who are trying to live a peaceful crime free life…Guyana is a beautiful land with wonderful real people, but the hawks in all the business places make living there unbearable…there is so much greed and corruption..Today It is who you know…and how many dollars they want for the service, even where it should be free all over Guyana. You cannot trust even the so called “HOLY MEN”….,most of them have their price.

• albert  On 02/09/2015 at 8:58 pm

This matter is about Richmond HIll, Queens, New York, not Guyana. In fairness to many of the fellows I knew who lived there, we kept each other tuned up with information in the rat race of making money, within the law. Some did extremely well during the glorious Clinton years and moved on. Many of the younger guys seem in a hurry to get rich quick by any means, which is giving the area a bad name.

• Deen  On 02/10/2015 at 12:45 pm

Thanks Paul Sanders. Good article about some corrupt Guyanese.
    By breaking bad, they are an embarrassment to Guyana and all law-abiding Guyanese.
    I’m angered and outraged by their viciousness, corruption and greed. As a result , I need to vent.
    These predators of society who prey of their fellow Guyanese and others are a disgrace and need to be put behind bars for a long time
    The regurgitation of disgust and diatribe stimulated by the poison of these notorious snakes of society, especially in Guyanese communities, is disturbing, nauseating and egregious to all civic minded Guyanese in the diaspora.
    Unfortunately, the expressions of disgust and dismay will have little impact in terminating the pervasive and cancerous culture for corruption in Guyana and among Guyanese criminals abroad.
    But these exposures of nefarious activities will certainly help to identify and make us more wary of the actions of these pernicious and evil ones among us.
    Perhaps the power of karma is the only hope for redemption and salvation for these bastards.
    Let’s keep the faith of brotherhood and humanity alive to remove these vipers who prey on innocent people.

• Deen  On 02/10/2015 at 3:08 pm

I totally agree with Eileen Russell’s comments. She’s very conversant with the corrupt illness of Guyana.
    Guyanese all over, perhaps except Albert, know how pervasive corruption, bribery and the high incidence of crimes are in Guyana.
    For a country with less than a million people, it’s creating a lot of negative news. Drugs seem to be a major problem in addition to the political and economic instability.

• Eileen Russell  On 02/10/2015 at 4:09 pm

I focused on Guyana and not USA or Canada..because as we Guyanese say: “You can take the man or woman out the country but you cannot take the country out the man or woman.” One thing is sure..when we die we cannot take anything with us ..I have never seen a hearse towing a Uhaul full of money or gold to the cemetery to be buried or burnt with a corpse… just something for all of us to think about. I am a Guyanese and proud of Guyana’s good people who are struggling everyday to make a decent living..thank God we are in the majority.

• albert  On 02/11/2015 at 1:22 pm

Eileen: “I have never seen a hearse towing a Uhaul full of money or gold to the cemetery to be buried or burnt with a corpse”

Why waste money to hire a Uhaul. A person could ask the spouse to write a check for all the money and put it in the coffin. If he is a man then he take all his money with him. Any sweet man could get his widow but not his money. You got to think out these strategy before you die.

• gigi  On 02/11/2015 at 8:16 pm

@Albert, enlighten me as to why I need to grow up and read the part about rape. I’m all ears. You seem to be under the impression or want to project that I’m of the opinion that Indians do not commit crimes, including rape. ALL RACES DO. Look around at what’s taking place in the world. It’s happening EVERYWHERE. Perhaps you are the one who needs to grow up if you think that individuals should abandon or disassociate themselves from their people because of what SOME did/are doing. That’s tantamount to saying that parents should do the same with their kids. I guess that’s the male mindset. That explains why so many fathers are quick to abandon their responsibility.

• albert  On 02/11/2015 at 10:21 pm

Gigi..” You (Albert) seem to be under the impression or want to project that I’m of the opinion that Indians do not commit crimes, including rape. ALL RACES DO”

I’m glad you are a smart woman who get the message without me having to spell it out. You wrote earlier that Indians would not support a party (PNC) whose members rape their women etc. That was a terrible accusation to make when you most likely do not have any factual knowledge of the number and nature of sexual crimes in areas of the country involving both Indians and Black people.
    Rape is a very unpleasant subject to write about but I could tell you of some ugly ones involving both races on the Corentyne.
    Its sad that you may have had some terrible personal experience with black people in Guyana. When you make those angry racial accusation so often then you are smart enough to know who has a problem.

• cochorenews  On 02/27/2015 at 5:18 am

Reblogged this on Cochore News.