The GED is Empowerment Through Education- By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

The GED is Empowerment Through Education

By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

One of the greatest gifts you can give anyone is to help that person unlock the power of knowledge.

When the sun sets New York City buzzes with activity. Thousands of adults from across the City journey to centers of learning. Their mission is to get a second chance, the opportunity to improve their skills to qualify them for entry into college. These students are studying for their General Educational Development or GED and the task is to master five subjects that include reading, math, history, social studies and science.

Most of the adults are immigrants and the classes are free. One does not have to be a citizen or permanent resident to be admitted to class and no such questions are asked. In fact the GED classes are perhaps the best endowment that New York and indeed the United States can bestow to immigrants.

The GED began in 1942 and was devised primarily to give soldiers returning from the War a chance to go to college. In 1972 the standards were changed to include a broader knowledge of academic subjects and in 1988 the essay was introduced. Further changes were made in 2002 and as recent as in 2013. But these changes have not deterred adults from enrolling in classes.

[Read more: The GED is Empowerment Through Education- By Dr. Dhanpaul Narine

Comments

• de castro  On December 30, 2014 at 1:08 am

Uk went a step further…..most of its colleges now offer similar qualifications
    as universities with some of the better performing ones given university
    status….now even companies are encouraged to employ apprentices in
    their work force….where certain skills can be aquired/taught.

Reason is simple
    Students were leaving college/university with higher qualifications
    that were not required in the labour market….without ‘work experience’
    most employers preferred ‘experienced’ employees.

Only in the highly skilled professions (lawyers doctors teachers etc)
    where internship was applied did employers not choose ‘work experience’
    as priority for employing.
    Today even doctors etc have to undergo re-training to keep up with
    technological advancement.

To conclude
    An apprenticeship in the skills necessary for development of the
    individual abilities is the way forward.
    Simply put…square pegs in square holes round pegs in round holes.
    Train people for the jobs available ….. on the job training.

My spill
    Kamtan

• albert  On December 30, 2014 at 10:08 am

There are differences in the US/UK higher educational systems. Typically the university is made of colleges. A student may end up taking courses from many of the university colleges before graduating with the university 4 years degree.
    Then the student if qualified may continue at the same or another university for a more advance degree (MS/MA/PhD).

The GED use to be equivalent to about the 8th grade of a 12th grade pre college education. So to start taking college courses a student would have to take many prerequiste courses, depending on what is his/her intended major.

• de castro  On December 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for that update….UK will need about 75.000 engineering
    graduates yet only 25.000 will graduate ….a serious shortfall
    with dire consequences….now kids in primary school are being
    encouraged to take up engineering…
    They are the future.
    Que Sera sera

• gigi  On December 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I took the GED back in 2002 when my youngest kids started preK but was not able to start college until 2006 when the classes and commute became convenient. I only had to take one prereq math class. My husband job transfers over the years also interfered with continuing my education. You have to live for one year in a state to qualify for instate tuition and that difference can range from $3,000 to $13,000 per semester. When we moved from FL to NY, I was one semester away from graduating with my BA. That one semester has turned into six semesters for NY because many of my credits did not transfer. I have three semesters left to go which include two semesters of internship. Now my husband is being transferred to VA soon, but this time around I’m not moving until I get my degree. I have well over 180 credits but still do not have a bachelor (I have an AA) which requires only 120 credits. But I’m also taking classes that I don’t need because they are considered free. The maximum credits colleges can charge you for per semester are 12 credits/4 classes, all other credits thereafter are free. Last semester I took 20 credits/7 classes for the cost of 12/4 classes. I am taking the same amount of classes next semester even though I only need 9credits/3 classes. I plan on doing this for the remainder of my three semesters because our income does not qualify me for Pell Grant that my tax dollars contribute to.

• de castro  On December 31, 2014 at 5:06 am

Catch 22
    How complex !
    Just accept any government (permanent) job if you wish to work.
    Job transfers without loss of ‘pensionable’ service may be better
    option. Paper qualifications are ‘outdated’ measurements of individual
    abilities/skills. Work experience as if not more important.!
    My humble suggestion
    Good luck.gigi

• albert  On December 31, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Kamtan: Paper qualifications are ‘outdated’ measurements of individual
    abilities/skills.

Large demand in US for graduate level science students and engineers (software, chemical,computer) from top level universities. Many students do advance scientific research in school that allow them to fit into the silicon valley crowd to make mega bucks.

• de castro  On January 1, 2015 at 6:26 am

Interesting….money the motivating factor…..
    Unfortunately not all are as money motivated.
    Some prefer the challenge of ‘achievement’ in their
    field of interest…..research and development wherever for whoever.
    Our world is global.

Let’s see how 2015 develop….winners/loosers.😇
    Happy new year to all.😀

• dhanpaul narine  On January 2, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Gigi you said ‘this time around I am not moving until I get my degree.’ What wonderful determination! I commend you for your resolve even as you pointed out it was rough at times. When your name is called and they hand you that paper the feeling will be priceless! It will be well worth it because you would have earned it. So don’t give up. Remember, after the Bachelor’s there is the Master’s waiting. All the best and Happy New Year!