Grenada and St Lucia in top ten countries where people drink the most booze

Grenada and St Lucia in top ten countries where people drink the most booze
Published on September 2, 2014 – caribbeannewsnow.com
alcohol_report.jpg

Photo: Achim Schleuning/Wikimedia

GENEVA, Switzerland — The World Health Report has released the results of its 15-year global alcohol consumption survey, and two Caribbean nations – Grenada (#5) and Saint Lucia (#9) – appear in the top ten countries ranked by per capita consumption. The Bahamas is #22.

The per capita yearly pure alcohol consumption in Grenada is 12.4 liters; in other words, researchers looked at all the different drinks people consume solely in terms of their alcohol content, which eliminates differences between wine, beer and spirits. That works out to between three and four drinks per person every single day.

According to Caribbean News Now senior correspondent, Grenadian Marcia Braveboy, the culture of intoxication there began after Hurricane Ivan hit on September 7, 2004.

“As the first journalist on the ground at the time, it was a heartbreaking experience. One could have cut the sense of trauma with a knife, so palpable was the shock and fear people exuded,” she recalled.

Hurricane Ivan had a debilitating effect on the people at the time and it seemed that developing illnesses accelerated under the heightened stresses brought on by the storm.

“It does not surprise me that there may have been other hidden side-effects of Hurricane Ivan on the people of Grenada,” Braveboy added.

Saint Lucia comes not far behind Grenada with 11.6 liters per capita yearly pure alcohol consumption and The Bahamas at 10.34 liters per capita yearly.

The United States doesn’t crack the top 25, coming in at number 37 with 8.77 liters of pure alcohol consumption per capita every year.

Here’s the complete list of the top 25, with countries listed by their yearly per capita consumption of pure alcohol, in liters.

1. Belarus 14.37
20. Denmark 10.4
21. Australia 10.37
22. Bahamas 10.34
23. Slovenia 10.32
24. United Kingdom 10.26
25. Bulgaria 10.2

Comments

• de Castro compton  On September 2, 2014 at 3:56 am

Surprise surprise…!..put me on a tropical island paradise
    and boredom would certainly drive me to drink…JUST
    TO QUENCH MY THIRST !!HA ha

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On September 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I’m surprised that Guyana did not make the top 25.

• de Castro compton  On September 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Ha ha !…at your cynical best….it was more the devil in the detail of how this ‘result’ were defined !…
    Solutions for ‘overindulgance’ OTT….is simple…..TAX it !
    Taxation has delivered in the tobacco lobby….now concerns
    about ‘electronic’ cigarettes……same principle TAX it.
    With one proviso….Tax used to fund the ‘rehabilitation’
    of addicts which cost tax payers a ‘fortune’ NHS.
    WAY FORWARD…….
    Alcohol in Guyana is being abused as much as it is in Scotland
    but the Tax on rum is a fraction of the Tax on whisky…..
    my favourites brand Chivas Regal or John Walker Black
    which makes more money for Scotland than oil !

Last year I attended a RUM fest in Earles Court London
    where Guyana s Rum were well represented.
    My favourite was from Guatemala …. Zacapa branded name
    ….later I looked for it in departure lounge Gatwick duty free….
    Yes it was 79 pounds for a litre bottle…thats marketing.
    needless to say I ‘passed’ !

Sorry for straying a bit…..why is a Ferrari so expensive…
    1. Waiting list a year or two
    2. Most desired by rich and famous
    3. Status symbol

Again marketing !

Guyana s Rums are not on shelves of supermarkets or in
    duty free departure lounges at airports….why or more why not ?…..marketing ! Even my local ‘liquor store’s don’t stock it.

Canada and USA more available.

Salud

• Clyde Duncan  On September 2, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Awe c’mon, Rosaliene!! We people are never that drunk!!

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On September 2, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Clyde, the data is for alcohol consumption not about number of drunks. If I recall well, Guyanese men know how to hold their liquor 🙂

• de Castro compton  On September 2, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Ha ha….never say never !
    ‘Intoxicated’ a better word to please the lady ? Please !!
    After 2 hours tasting Rums one of our companions was ‘legless’….we put her in a black cab and took her home !
    She was OK following day.!!!

C’mon Rosie don’t knock de fatherlands gentlemen !
    We are not all ‘devil’s !

……..

• de Castro compton  On September 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Jamaicans cant…..r u serious Rosie !?

• Ron. Persaud  On September 3, 2014 at 7:18 pm

FWIW, Dr. A P. Brahmam – GUYSUCO’s Chief Medical Officer for many years – observed that Corentyne ‘men’ drank excessively but the incidence of cirrhosis of the liver among them was unexpectedly low. He attributed this to high consumption of coconut water; either straight or ‘mixed’.
    My only contribution to this discussion is an event during which my uncle Ernest and I polished off a “Forty ounce” (with coconut water) one night.
    Next morning we were both quite listless and my wife called over Dr. P. (as in ‘Phyzul’) Sattaur. The first thing he did was check our blood pressure, both of which were startlingly low!
    The Doctor observed that, in his experience, heavy consumption of coconut water was associated with lowered B.P.
    I have carefully filed away that information, should I ever suffer from hypertension.
    Sadly, my B.P. tends to be low.
    Finally, a white American couple proudly brought out a bottle of “Malibu” rum just for ‘lil ole me’.
    It was mildly nauseating because it reminded me of copra and making coconut oil.
    Nothing like a thrush of green coconuts- one by one – in the left hand of your favorite uncle. In his right hand, the cutlass; he would first chop deftly and provide you with an organic spoon. Then he would proceed to “shave” the stalk end of the nut until the “eyes” were discernible. He would then inexplicably stick the point of the cutlass into the fibrous tissue that enclosed the nut. “To clean the point”, he would explain; because he would then plunge ‘cleaned point’ into the shaved down nut and some coconut water may squirt out. No matter; he would give it to his favorite niece, generically named “good chile” but eventually all of us would drink water “til we belly naily buss” (Thank you for the line, Mr. Martins!)
    And then my mother would spoil it all by fussing how uncle Paras caused our ‘good, good clothes to get stain up wid coconut water’.

• de Castro compton  On September 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Saw news of Stabrook market vendors flooding…
    One said ‘guyana is de land of many waters’
    it certainly had me in stitches….guyanese sense of humour !
    But I did feel sad to see a ‘squatter’ in waist deep in water
    on the flooded pavement….people walking pass as if this beggar did not need help…..sad world.!!

• gigi  On September 6, 2014 at 12:51 pm

One of the reasons I was glad to leave Guyana was to never have to see men staggering on the streets too drunk to walk straight, or have to pass by rum shops where it seemed that men hang out all day – either having no desire to work or a burning desire to spend their money on “drinks” just as quickly as they earned it. This always sickened and disgusted me. I used to dread having to marry a Guyanese man. But I did kinda sorta marry one the 1st time around – Guyanese raised, British born and Hong Kong Chinese. He was not a drinker, or a smoker. Thankfully! (Though it wasn’t enough to keep the marriage strong.) I can’t stand people who smoke, either. My husband is a light social drinker and does not smoke. Thank goodness!

• de Castro compton  On September 6, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Everyone should enjoy a social drink….
    Not every drinker becomes an alcoholic….
    Over indulgence a curse ! Necessary evil !
    Although we had alcoholic in my generation
    am happy that it has not continued in my
    next generations…..but it can appear in the
    third generation.
    Problem in Guyana and Caribbean is RUM
    is not only cheap it is easily available…..

There is a similar situ in Russia and Scotland
    Vodkaholics /Whiskaholics…..

My children and grandchildren were allowed a sip of
    Beer or Wine at home…nothing stronger…..
    It seems to have worked !
    My spin

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On September 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm

After growing up with a father who became violent during his drunken weekend sprees, I made the decision to be a teetotaler and raised my sons the same way.

• de Castro compton  On September 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Guess we were lucky as my father was teetotaler….
    My uncle was not and had a rum shop….yes my cousins
    and their mum suffered his physical and verbal abuse…
    that generation is now history.
    19484506092014uk

• Ron. Persaud  On September 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Seems that I posted this here previously.
    If not here goes – without comment.

• walter  On September 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm

When I worked on the ships, we drank a lot,a lot, but, never without large meals,always plenty to eat.I think that saved me and my liver.