Stan Brock, Amazon bush pilot – By Hugh Yearwood

Stan Brock, Amazon bush pilot – My candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.

By Hugh Yearwood

Hugh Yearwood

Hugh Yearwood

I treat my own bouts of hiraeth by writing about my experiences as a child growing up in Guyana. I was fortunate to travel and work in the interior and luckily kept an irregular journal during the years 1980-1981. I left Ebini Ranch in 1983 to study veterinary medicine in Poland where I have remained since. Here is my second story.

This story is based on an entry I made in a journal in 1978.

Stan Brock was my number one hero when I was a teenager and I’m sorry I never met him. When I first heard of him British Guiana was now Guyana and he was the long gone ex-manager of one of the most remote and largest cattle ranches in the world; Dadanawa Ranch. During his time as a cowboy there 4,000 of British Guiana’s 83,000 sq. miles belonged to Dadanawa. Lethem was just an out station. The ranch is bordered to the South and East by the mostly unexplored Amazon jungle and to the West by the Guyana, Brazilian border.

Read more: Stan Brock, Amazon bush pilot- 1

Comments

• Towa Towa  On 06/29/2014 at 2:05 pm

Thank you so much for bringing the Name ” STAN BROOK” alive AGAIN.
    I would like to endorse everything you have said & to add that as a lover of animals & birds & still among them I have a great love & admiration for the man ” STAN BROOK” . 🙂 I use to believe & still do that after seeing him run after a wild cow, Jaguar, or any animal BAREFOOTED that he was faster than them.
    I think he was faster than Usain BOLT:) 🙂 Thank You for remembering him.
    My next birthday I’ll be 75 & I remember the man WELL. He deserves the Nobel Piece Prize.

• Hugh Yearwood  On 06/30/2014 at 9:33 am

Stan Brock is now 78 and he: “…has no money, no income, and no bank account. He spends 365 days a year at the charity events, sleeping on a small rolled-up mat on the floor and living on a diet made up entirely of porridge and fresh fruit.” The Independent (UK)
    He is still serving Guyana. As the founder of the non-profit medical care organization, Remote Area Medical he continues to have on-going operations in Guyana flying medical relief in the remote parts of the interior.
    He’s a true hero.

• Dmitri Allicock  On 06/30/2014 at 12:33 pm

Ride the high country and the Rupununi Cattle Trail with the Wapishana vaqueros and Stan Brock. Great story of our dear land of El Dorado and treasured history.

• malcolm heydorn  On 06/30/2014 at 2:06 pm

A truly telling story, that ought to find its way into every newspaper in the land. It orchestrates a measure of motivation and mood, that every teenager in this struggling land, would find stirring, and a way of distancing themselves from the prolonged national tragedy, that, unfortunately, they are a part of, yet not of their doing.

• Francis Quamina Farrier  On 06/30/2014 at 7:45 pm

I was at the (then wooden) Government House on the hill at Lethem and Stan Brock was standing in the compound. He looked like a local John Wayne. Quiet, but very active and making good and productive things happen while saying very little. That image of Stan Brook has remained with me for well over 25 years.

• matala7  On 07/01/2014 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Francis,
    He hasn’t changed since. Your observation about him being: “Quiet, but very active and making good and productive things happen while saying very little. “ can be seen in CBS’ 60 minutes program about him and R.A.M. Medical Missions in United States. Here’s a link for anyone interested. Stan Brok is a truly remarkable man.

• Anna Iles  On 07/01/2014 at 11:26 pm

There is a documentary on Medicine Man: The Stan Brock Story and an active facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MedicineManStanBrock

• Clyde Duncan  On 07/03/2014 at 1:22 am

Stan Brock About RAM in BG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fx6CM31Yn0

• John Brock  On 07/04/2014 at 5:48 pm

Stan Brock is my cousin and I met him yesterday (3rd July) in London for the first time since 1967.

He truly is a most remarkable man; one of action and few but kindly words.

The people here from Guyana who remember him have acute memories.

As Towa Towa says Stan certainly is a most deserving candidate for the Nobel Peace prize and probably a lot more.

John Brock

• Hugh Yearwood  On 07/05/2014 at 7:24 am

Thank you John for your comment. Please pass on the deep appreciation the people in Guyana have for what he has and continues to do for the people in the remote hinterland. The title of my story is ‘Stan Brock, Amazon bush pilot – My candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.’ I hope to see this happen one day. There are few people that are not as deserving as he is. Perhaps the Guyanese and American communities should form a committee to put his name before the Nobel Peace Prize body.
    Hugh Yearwood

• Geoff Burrowes  On 09/16/2018 at 1:42 pm

Hugh – your story brings memories back as I was blessed to work in the Rupununi in 1963 and 1964.
    I worked for Stan Brock and he and I never hit it off. He was though charismatic and accomplished and has since given his life for less privileged people.
    The Nobel Peace prize would be appropriate, but some acknowledgement of his contribution to mankind would be appropriate!