VICTIM INVESTOR GUYANA – official video by the investor

VICTIM INVESTOR GUYANA (Official)

Published on Feb 17, 2014 – The Devastating Experiences of a Brazilian Investor in Guyana – Painful reality of a country through the eyes of a foreign investor.

Comment from viewer:  You hear all kinds of stuff about Guyana, but this one tells you even more about the Law and how broken it is.

It is a bit long and only if you have time look at it.
Once you start looking you want to keep on looking.
 It will tell you how helpless it can become for  the Law to work.
And you will see why.

Comments

• Clyde Duncan  On March 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I reviewed the video and it clearly stated ‘it is an opinion’ – I suppose there is no law against expressing an opinion. The other thing I noted is that the investor did have a misplaced trust in his partner [this happens often] – he took off for ‘home’ and allowed the partner to freely ‘run the business’ in his absence. This sort of thing happens every where on the planet, why would Guyana be any different? Signing blank cheques and leaving them lying around in a foreign land, while you are out partying in another country, seems to me like you are being kind of carefree and reckless with your hard-earned money. Perhaps, it is an inheritance?? As they say, easy come – easy go!! I am not trying to be unsympathetic here, what is important is that we learn from the man’s mistakes.

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On March 17, 2014 at 12:08 am

Thanks for sharing this video, Cyril.

Clyde, I agree with you that we should regard this case as a learning experience. When starting a business in a foreign country, we cannot leave the business in the hands of an unknown third party.

• Abert  On March 17, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I saw this video on another source. The story has some holes but to the extent its true it cast a poor reflection on Guyana’s judicial system and investigative authorities. When business is done in foreign countries it almost always have to be in the hands of third parties. Its how the third parties are selected, the safeguards and controls put in place, that matters.
    Among other things find a competent lawyer who has experience in Guyana in such matters. There are other foreign businesses in Guyana operating successfully, I suppose. Find out how they do it. Get advice. Minimize the risks.

• walter  On March 18, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I dont know how you can easily write off a break down in the legal system.You want foreigners to invest,the Judicial system is the last resort.I dont see how a competent lawyer could have helped.A successful business might be paying a higher bribe.

• Abert  On March 19, 2014 at 2:34 pm

“.I dont see how a competent lawyer could have helped” A lawyer with experience in dealing with businesses owned by foreign residents. Base on past issues he may be able to prepare contracts binding the local managers; cover loop holes and so forth. If the local judicial system don’t work then its a waste of time.

• Clyde Duncan  On March 18, 2014 at 6:05 pm

This is a reckless assumption on your part, Walter, regarding the “..break down in the legal system.” You heard one side’s opinion and jumped to the conclusion that it is a “… break down in the legal system.” That takes a huge stretch of the imagination for a reasonable person to arrive at such a crass and baseless conclusion based on a miniscule amount of input from one party – an opinion, at that!

• gloria  On March 18, 2014 at 6:16 pm

A very sad story…. do not trust any one with your business. I think this crooked Sri Lankan man should be in the lock up for what he did to that Brazilian man .

• walter  On March 19, 2014 at 12:20 am

Wow,reckless assumption.Well I can adjust, if I hear from the “other side” until then, I think he was treated unfairly. As a side note,not too long ago, I was making fun of my Barbadian friends, reminding them that their white sand, was really ours, at the time I was totally unaware of this drama. I will await the rebuttal.

• Lawrence  On March 19, 2014 at 1:59 am

I have dealt with the Bhaskarans in the past, and this ”scampish” act has definitely described their true character. Ungrateful bastards. It’s a shame regarding what our legal system has tolerated. ”money talks & bullshit walks”

• Clyde Duncan  On March 19, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Walter, I enjoy a healthy discourse among reasonable and right-thinking people. I could accept that you “… think that he was treated unfairly.” Given, you have modified your position, I am very sure you might be amenable to the concept that there is a huge chasm of wonderment between “I think that he was treated unfairly.” And, this is “… a break down in the legal system.” HUH? The other guy does not have to say anything. He has the right to remain silent. In our legal system, it is up to the person who felt wronged, to make their case. On the surface, it appears to me that he has a weak case. That video is probably intended to tell us just enough to influence or solicit our support for his weak cause. I am certain there is more. That is as far as I want to go with this discussion.

• ndtewarie  On March 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm

De Paula should have brought some of his goons from Brazil and settle this matter by force, this is the only method these corrupted thieves understand. This is the reason Guyana would always be these messes, there is no law for the law 9its like the Wild West) abiding only for the bribers and losers. Remember God is not a Bhajan! Bhaskaran and his wife and all those who helped him will all die of cancer. The Gov’t .should be ashamed for allowing this to happen.

• Edwin Boucher  On March 24, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I get the impression that all of the above comments were made by people living out of Guyana and cannot believe that the country has become so corrupted. Just see how murderers are being set free by the courts, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Clyde Duncan  On March 24, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Yikes! There is no law in any land, I believe, that will prevent the separation of a fool [unsophisticated investor] from his money. Read the foregoing comments and you will find enough information that if the investor had to do this again, he would deal with it differently [should deal with investing differently] even dealing with the same parties. If all the facts are known, we would probably find that the “scamp” did nothing unlawful – even by any other country’s laws. Don’t confuse what is morally right, with what is legally right. When you lose – don’t lose the lesson!

• Clyde Duncan  On March 24, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Ooops! I meant to say “alleged scamp” … I don’t know de man.

• Sirr Vick  On July 4, 2020 at 5:35 am

I’ve been following this story for years now.
    I wonder how it’s going now?