An upbeat and Tearful Sparrow stirs Fans in Brooklyn – inc video

An upbeat and Tearful Sparrow stirs Fans in Brooklyn

Sparrow at Melanie's

Sparrow at Melanie’s

Brooklyn, NY, January 18, 2014
Reported by H. Hall – Everybody’s Magazine

What an evening!

Fans of the Mighty Sparrow and other diehard calypso lovers packed Melanie’s Sports Bar at Fulton Street to welcome the Mighty Sparrow. It was Sparrow’s first public appearance since his illness and worldwide rumors that he had died.

So believable were rumors of his passing last September that even the New York Times, Daily News, and media in Canada and England called EVERYBODY’S Magazine to confirm the sad news. The magazine continuously told them it was not true and asked them to urge fans to pray for the Mighty Sparrow.   At that time, the man named Slinger Francisco at birth in Gran Roi (Grand Roy), Grenada, remained in a diabetic coma in a Queens hospital in New York City.

MELANIE'S 10

Weeks later Sparrow gradually came out of the coma, discharged from the hospital and sent to a therapy center where he is still recuperating.

The therapy center reluctantly granted him three hours to meet fans in Brooklyn at a benefit for him organized by Derek Parsons of WACK Radio and Calypso Rose.

Read more:An upbeat and Tearful Sparrow stirs Fans in Brooklyn

Sparrow at Melanie’s Bar, Brooklyn NYC  –  January/18/2014 – video

Comments

• de castro  On 01/24/2014 at 8:10 am

Whooray viva the sparrow ! Now he is more popular for wrong reasons…
    My number rapper ! Ra ta ta tat !ha ha !
    Kamptan

• Ron.  On 01/24/2014 at 8:11 am

Deja vu!

• de castro  On 01/24/2014 at 9:37 am

Ha ha thanks brother …in hilarious nostalgia !

Wonder why he chose SPARROW for his stage name…..the black and white bird
    for its versatility in flight when feeding. In my area of mountains in south Spain
    ALPUJARAS at days end the sky is blacked out by the feeding frenzy of insects
    just before nightfall…..a spectacle.

Would love to read his biography his legacy.

Kamptan

• Ron. Persaud  On 01/24/2014 at 12:05 pm

From what I have gleaned, Mr Slinger Francisco was born in Grenada.
    He chose the name because the bird sings!
    Here, judge for yourself.

He composed “Jean& Dina” while in jail.
    I certainly know that he had an emotional attachment to the song.
    He had a house built in Maraval and the wrought iron work on the veranda was the opening bar of the musical score of the evergreen tune.
    In the house was a circular bed – maybe the first in Trinidad – which he reasoned, left no argument as to the head and foot of the bed; he would not have to worry about getting up on the wrong side .. and things like that.
    The ongoing battle between himself and Lord Melody provided entertaining picong in the form of “Madam Dracula” and “Belmont Jackass” and it was always edgy when they clashed in the “tent” at Carnival time.
    I admire him for his individuality. He did sing “My Way” with great feeling; accompanied by Byron Lee and the Dragonaires. I believe the album was called “Sparrow meets the Dragon Again.
    I marvel at the diversity of his compositions. “Robbery with V” expressed some of the qualities differentiated him from the rest.

• de castro  On 01/24/2014 at 3:19 pm

Viva sparrow the singer man…thanks the info Ron…
    Was he in jail for “drunk and disorderly behaviour” a criminal offence
    at the time….today el presidente gets away with it….ha ha !

Kamptan

• Dmitri Allicock  On 01/24/2014 at 9:21 pm

I am very happy to hear that the Caribbean greatest ‘The Mighty Sparrow’ is doing better!

• dave crichton  On 01/25/2014 at 1:59 pm

The Calypso ICON….Just can’t get enough of the Mighty Sparrow.

• Terry Kinsale Figuera  On 01/25/2014 at 4:55 pm

Hail! hail! the King is doing fine and thats a great thing! I love you Sparrow and wish you can live forever!!

• Leslie I R  On 01/25/2014 at 8:42 pm

I remember growing up with all Sparrow’s calypsoes on the radio, singing the words sometimes not even knowing about some of the “adult” meanings of the song. Loved his contemporaries like Kitch and Chalkie, but Sparrow was the mighty King.

• jennifer belle  On 01/26/2014 at 11:13 pm

I wish you all best and success, u not going before your time. God bless and family.

• Haydn B Eugene  On 01/27/2014 at 2:57 am

The heavenly kingdom is not quite ready for yet Sparrow as the good lord has willed that you may still have some entertaining to do here. Meanwhile, speedy recovery and certainly all the best.
    Haydn Eugene

• Malcolm Austin  On 01/27/2014 at 10:54 am

My first experience with recorded music was listening to the Mighty Sparrow singing the song, Ten to one is murder. I was hooked for life from the first note, and I thought the sound I was hearing was magical. Greatest calypsonian of all time, forever!!!

• glo  On 01/28/2014 at 1:19 am

It.s good to see him doing very good

• Sybil E.  On 01/28/2014 at 10:36 am

My all time favorite Celebrity. Loved his music since childhood. So glad he is still with us. Sparrow, thank you for your music throughout the years. I pray that you continue to improve in health, strength and prosperity. Please don’t scare us like that again.

• jennifer belle  On 01/28/2014 at 10:15 pm

he is a legend, bless him, strengthen him, and gave family courage.

• oscar rodney  On 01/28/2014 at 5:36 pm

Sparrow is the Greatest of all times

• Oscar Rodney  On 01/28/2014 at 5:40 pm

Sparrow at his best ,LONG LIVE THE KING.

• Clyde Duncan  On 01/29/2014 at 12:16 am

I requested my sister play this on her show, Soul Jazz on G-98.7 fm – the Only Black Radio Station in Canada [in Toronto] – Byron Lee and Sparrow, Only A Fool – a 2-million record hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7IaAqAp6kc

• wally  On 02/15/2014 at 10:34 pm

I AM VERY GLAD TO KNOW THAT THE KING IS STILL AROUND.GOD BLESS YOU.LONG LIVE THE KING.