Guyana: APNU looks to draft flood plan – video

Guyana: APNU looks to draft flood plan – Capitol News

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has begun a consultation that is aimed at developing a national plan to address the sore issue of flooding.

On Monday APNU Member of Parliament, Rupert Roopnaraine told reporters that flooding is a complex issue which is affecting the entire country not just the City of Georgetown.

He said the Party wants to have a plan that is not only dependent on Central Government for funding.

According to Dr. Roopnarine proper maintenance and lack of management of the country’s drainage system are just some of the areas that should be addressed.

APNU has expressed dismay at the continued failure of the current administration to protect the population from repeated flooding throughout the country.

Read the Kaieteur News Report on this news story: http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2014/01/21/apnu-moves-to-draft-national-flood-control-plan/

Comments

• ndtewarie  On January 24, 2014 at 1:36 pm

WHATS THE USE OF BUILDING NEW INITIATIVES FOR FLOODING WHEN YOU CAN’T MAINTAIN THE OLD ONES? LET EVERYONE LEARN TO CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES BRING BACK GEORGETOWN TO ITS BEAUTIFUL STATE, CLEAN ALL THE KOKERS AND SLUICES AND BE MEN AND WOMEN NOT FOLKS ONLY WAITING FOR HANDOUTS. GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND BE GUYANESE AGAIN.

• malcolm heydorn  On January 26, 2014 at 12:34 am

The least we can say about the APNU, is that they are making an effort to solve the problem. One would hope that the other parties would band together in a combined effort to solve the problem of flooding in Georgetown, and not necessarily throw a spanner into the works.They can certainly start by redredging the canals around the city, and not as was the case in the 60’s fill them so that a certain person can gallop on a white horse with staff in hand, waving at his subjects. By the way, no more bombings of the kokers and sluices in the country sides, but rebuild them in ways that are effective for the purposes for which they were built .One must not forget that these waterways were built by the Dutch, including the seawall, and they should be consulted when planning reconstruction.
    Yes my paternal ancesters in Guyana were very knowledgible,as far as keeping the ocean waters out, and I am very proud of them. Good Luck APNU.

• Ron Persaud  On January 26, 2014 at 5:26 am

They do not need to reinvent the wheel.
    The parameters for drainage design are area, precipitation and topography.
    Area: In fourth standard, I learned that Georgetown was roughly one square mile, bounded by the Atlantic on the north, Vlissingen road on the east, La Penitence canal on the south and the Demerara river on the west.
    The rainfall totaled about 100 inches annually, if my memory still serves me well.
    Georgetown is flat.
    It is also below the level of the Atlantic ocean at high tide.
    I later learned that the drainage system of Georgetown was designed to drain one inch of rainfall in 24 hours.
    Every bit of farmland along the coast had 4 drainage features: inter bed drain, cross (sometimes center) four foot drain, sideline and koker.
    In Georgetown there were inter-lot and street drains, alleys, canals and Koker.
    Essentially the same …. ever since the Dutch designed and built it.
    Flooding would occur in times of heavier rainfall and /or kokers had to remain closed because high tide on the river or ocean.
    So Georgetown became Greater Georgetown and canals were filled in for one reason or another. One does not need a crystal ball to predict what would happen. It was decided to increase drainage capacity by increasing pump capacity.
    That was a good plan
    It was about that time that I “exited stage left”.
    The sole purpose of writing this is to demonstrate that the solution of the drainage problem is fairly straightforward.
    Small drains into collector drains into canals to ??? (fill in the blank).
    If you said ‘koker’, you are accepting the reality that flooding will occur.
    If you said ‘drainage pump’ then the inconvenience of flooding will be a thing of the past.
    Georgetown will be on the way to becoming a city in the 21st. Century.

• Ron. Persaud  On January 26, 2014 at 5:53 pm

And the more I think about it, the better it gets. Supplementary solar/wind power for the drainage pumps?
    Don’t dismiss it. In 1954 I had a close up look at the workings of a wind charger that provided electrical power to the home of Mr. J B Nathoo. on the Corentyne. the landscape was punctuated with these structures. Put many of them together and you have a wind farm. Now we are really into the 21st century!

• malcolm heydorn  On January 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Sir,
    Sometimes it is better to reinvent the wheel Your “knowledge” of drainage and irrigation is very “impressive”; and I could not boast of doing a better job .In fourth standard, in New Amsterdam, I did not realize that Georgetown, in which city I was born was just one square mile, and was flat. I recall that I was not the brightest student in the class; I don’t know if anyone was, but what I do know is that every other day, I was sent down to another teacher, of non European extraction,for a “cut ass” Noting that I was the only student of European extraction in the class, I was always greeted with a “come putagee bumba, ride the desk ” Further, at age 9 years, I could not tell you what the shifting boundaries of Georgetown were, but what I can say as of now, is that it will soon become the “city of floods”. Whatever your suggestions might be for solving the flooding problems, please do not overlook the fact that the blueprint for them all, originated with the Dutch. These folks fight the sea every day, and are constantly developing new techniques for sea and water defenses. For these reasons I say they ought to be consulted for technique and assurances, not {as some may fear) as colonialists, but as consultants.

• Ron. Persaud  On January 28, 2014 at 12:12 am

I did acknowledge that the Dutch designed and built the drainage system in Guyana.
    Perhaps we should adopt the other parts of their approach.
    The following is lifted from Wikipedia.
    The last two ideas are worth following.
    “Flood control is an important issue for the Netherlands, as about two thirds of its area is vulnerable to flooding, while the country is among the most densely populated on Earth. Natural sand dunes and human-made dikes, dams and floodgates provide defense against storm surges from the sea. River dikes prevent flooding from water flowing into the country by the major rivers Rhine and Meuse, while a complicated system of drainage ditches, canals and pumping stations (historically: windmills) keep the low lying parts dry for habitation and agriculture. Water control boards are the independent local government bodies responsible for maintaining this system.
    In modern times, flood disasters coupled with technological developments have led to large construction works to reduce the influence of the sea and prevent future floods.”.

• malcolm W. Heydorn  On January 4, 2015 at 9:12 pm

This is for Ron Persaud, on a slightly different topic.

You mentioned on 26th January, 2014, the name, J.B. Nathoo of the Corentyne. Could this person be Julius B. Nathoo, who once attended Berbice High School ,in the late 1950s? If he is, then he knows me very well. In fact, I was two forms below him in school, and he actually was once my cricket captain, in the B.H.S. senior cricket team, during this period; I was the wicket keeper and opening batsman from 14-17 years of age. Small world indeed.