No Magic this Christmas – By Rosaliene Bacchus

Rosaliene ..Try to have a Merry Christmas,. irrespective of the present human conditions.. We live in “Interesting Times”. Let us all hope that 2014 will be better.

Three Worlds One Vision

Homeless and Hungry - United StatesHomeless & Hungry
Photo Credit: DoSomething.org

Since a kid growing up in Guyana, Christmas has always been a magical time of the year. My poor, working class parents always found a way to make Christmas a special time of the year for me and my four siblings. My happiest childhood memories are of our Christmas celebrations.

Following the world economic crisis of August 2008, I’ve been downsizing our Christmas celebrations, in keeping with our new socio-economic reality in the United States. Job security is a thing of the past. Joblessness, homelessness, and food insecurity are new experiences for the American middle class. The situation is no better for the working poor.

What’s also disturbing is hearing high-profile people in the media, in the business community, and among our government representatives blaming the poor for their poverty. In a number of cities across the United States, it has even become…

View original post 151 more words

Comments

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 12/22/2013 at 6:58 pm

Cyril, thanks for sharing my blog post with your readers.

• maureen fungafat  On 12/25/2013 at 3:53 pm

Rose Merry Xmas and a happy new year to the family.
      Have been reading your messages. Maureen Fung-a-Fat

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 12/26/2013 at 5:58 pm

Maureen, thanks so much for the good wishes and for reading my posts. I hope you and your family had a great time on Christmas Day and that the New Year brings you unforgettable moments to cherish.

Have we met? Are you related to Dr. Hugh Fung-a-Fat?

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 12/22/2013 at 7:04 pm

Cyril, just noticed your comments. Each day is always filled with surprises to make me smile (or laugh) and be thankful. But the Christmas magic is gone. Sadly, with deep cuts to the food stamps program, the coming year promises to be worse for Americans who depend upon them to feed their families.

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 12/26/2013 at 5:50 pm

I received a wonderful unexpected call on Christmas Day. My reconnection with a loved one, however brief, was the best gift I could have received on Christmas Day.

Life is full of surprises :0

• Dmitri Allicock  On 12/22/2013 at 9:48 pm

I will be working both on Christmas and Boxing Day but Christmas to me is what lives within. I am celebrating another Christmas and blessings of life. My 8 year old is so excited and can’t wait. I will enjoy a piece of black cake, ginger beer and remember the good times of magical childhood innocence. I will also remember the warm spirit of my dear dad, Stanley James Allicock who passed Jan 6, 2000 and forever keep him in my heart. Wishing you and family a wonderful Christmas of peace and happiness, Rosaliene , it is always a great pleasures to hear from you and read your articles.

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 12/26/2013 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, Dmitri. Sharing the joy of our little ones at Christmas is a special blessing during this time of the year. It’s also the time of year that we miss our departed loved ones most of all. May the remembrance of the good times you spent with your father ease your pain of losing him.

• Dmitri Allicock  On 12/27/2013 at 1:55 am

Bless you and family Rosaliene. Wishing you health and happiness for 2014!