Caribbean Airlines now charges US$1,400 for NY round trip

Caribbean Airlines now charges US$1,400 for NY round trip

JUNE 22, 2013 | BY  |   Govt’s patience runs thin on

Government yesterday again blazed Caribbean Airlines over its high fares and warned that it is working with a number of other carriers, including Panamanian-owned Copa Airlines, to fly the Georgetown/New York route.
Responding to questions over continuous complaints by fliers that they are being forced to fork over thousands of dollars more for tickets, Tourism Minister, Irfaan Ali, warned that Government’s tolerance is fast running out.

Tourism Minister (ag), Irfaan Ali

“There are two things that are provoking me right now. One is that Guyanese still have to come off the aircraft (in Trinidad)… go downstairs and recheck in back. That is absolutely ridiculous and contrary to the arrangement we have with Caribbean Airline. We are not going to tolerate this nonsense much longer.”
Ali said that he has seen a statement from CAL which said that fliers paid high prices after waiting on the last moment to book.

“Well, let me say this to you… if you book late, early or half late, there is no way you would be paying US$1,400 for an economy class ticket to the US. There is no way you should pay US$500 for an economy class ticket to Trinidad. The Trinidadians do not pay it…we should not be asked to pay it. It is as clear as that. I will be very frank. I can’t wait for the competition to come in.”

According to the Minister, Government has received calls for the Trinidad-owned airline to be taken to the Caribbean Competition Commission.
“I am very upset… We have to congratulate CAL in certain ways too. When the gap was created by Ezjet and Delta’s exit, CAL put on four/five additional flights… they triple up seats to come to Guyana.”

However, the airline, which earlier this year was granted flag carrier status for Guyana, has started to capitalize in a harsh manner. “We have a high demand of traffic coming to Guyana and CAL should be trying to build loyalty among customers. But you have created an atmosphere where the prices are ridiculously high that people lose trust and faith just because of your fares. I don’t know what their business model is.”
Ali made it clear that Guyana has gone past the stage of being “anybody’s eye pass. We have equal say with anything in the region.”

He said that the flag carrier status granted to Caribbean Airlines earlier this year was not a bad idea as it allowed the airline to fly directly to New York.
Newly established Fly Jamaica was recently granted permission to fly the Georgetown/New York route and the inaugural flight should be sometime next month, the official said yesterday.

Government has accused Caribbean Airlines of taking advantage of situation.

Copa Airline, Panama’s flag carrier is also being courted with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in talks with officials of that airline.

Representatives are to come to Guyana, he said.
Another airline has also expressed strong interest in serving the route and should be coming to Guyana before the end of the year, Ali said.

Comments

• Sylvie Kierstead  On 06/23/2013 at 1:55 am

Finally!!! I wondered why Guyanese had to be penalized to stop over at the T’Dad airport by checking out again. I found the Immigration Officials very rude and crude. I even had to help a senior lady fill in a form as she was just trembling with fear. No one offered to help her or even explain what the form was for. Even though everyone is rushing to get on or off the plane, my conscience would not let me leave her unattended. This is one of the primary reasons I vow I would not visit Guyana again as I do not enjoy the stopover in Trinidad. Therefore, it would please me greatly to see another Carrier instead of CAL. Thank you.

• Jay  On 06/23/2013 at 6:35 am

Guyanese love to go back home as most other people. I for one go back once yearly, but I have decided since my experience in 2008 that I will NEVER EVER travel on CAL. I used Delta when I visited in February, and for my planned trip for Easter next year if there is not another airline plying the GT route, I wont be going. If others follow my lead CAL would change their tactic.

• Clyde Duncan  On 06/23/2013 at 10:01 am

Free enterprise! Competition!! That will sort it out [service, fair and efficient pricing, the works] ….! The sooner LIAT and Caribbean Airlines recognize that they are running inefficient entities and consider a merger or centralizing their operations, the better. Otherwise, we will lose them both. That is the reality of the region.

• Tony  On 06/23/2013 at 11:51 am

It’s about time that the Government of Guyana stand up to the rogue and unethical gouging of the travelling Guyanese by the unscrupulous Caribbean Airlines. Staff of all level at Piarco Airport Authority, Customs, Immigration, Security, Ground Staff, Store Clerks and Janitors included, must be sent back to school to be taught proper ethics, common courtesy and excellence in Customer Service. They are a rude and pompous bunch I must say.

• bhoj chatterpaul  On 06/23/2013 at 8:51 pm

I said it 43 years ago when I fly B-Wee now known as CAL today. I will never ever fly in their Airplanes and or use of their crappo Airport. The Guyana Government seems to have awakened, now act.

• CECIL O  On 06/24/2013 at 2:48 pm

I agree with you 110% I hope we see some action and less talk.

• fay  On 06/23/2013 at 11:06 pm

Guyana put itself in the position its it had Guyana Airways so CAL is every right to do what it is doing

• Delta man  On 06/25/2013 at 9:03 pm

So much, so good for “Flag Carrier” status, what The Minister needs to contemplate is why Delta walked away! Maybe all that has changed is that we now pay a whole lot more to CAL !!! This might be termed “state vindictiveness” on part of the T&T Republic aid and abetted by the GT Republic !!!!
    Can’t get worst than this!!!

• francis jackson  On 06/25/2013 at 9:19 pm

When the Guyana government put itself and its people in this predicament, “beggin for a lif or a drop” even though we are paid passengers, we will be treated with no respect and subject to high airfares from CAL,

I have no complaints about Caribbean Airlines. When will Guyana purchase its own airline? so that we would no longer bum a ride, paying airline cost for a minibus travel! Just Stop complaining about CAL . Enuf said on the matter.

• Biju A  On 06/25/2013 at 9:40 pm

There is no reason why CAL or any other airline should have Guyana by the balls. What happen to Guyana Airways? Guyana has become so damn backwards that they now have to settle for any crap that is thrown their way. The dishonesty and corruption are contributing factors to hindering growth and development in the country. The government should be embarassed that they cannot provide the basic necessities for their citizens.

• megan  On 07/13/2013 at 7:40 pm

I USED CARIBBEAN AIRLINE FROM JFK TO GUYANA LAST OCTOBER. DELTA WAS FULLY BOOKED SO I HAD NO CHOICE. THE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WERE COLD AND HARSH. I WILL NOT USE CARIBBEAN AIRLINE EVER AGAIN. GUYANA NEEDS TO STEP UP AND BRING BACK OUR CARRIER PLEASE.
    A CONCERNED PASSENGER.