Traditional Home Remedies Of Guyana – By Dmitri Allicock

Traditional Home Remedies Of Guyana

By Dmitri Allicock

A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his thought to derive benefit from his illnesses”

[Hippocrates -father of Western Medicine]

If you grew up in Guyana you would certainly be acquainted with some of these common over the –counter- medicines and remedies that brought relief for various afflictions and ailments. Corner stores carried a wide array of medicines found only in the Caribbean and Guyana. These were augmented with herbal medicines and treatments before a visit to the doctor was attempted.

Home remedies have been around for thousands of years. Even these days about 30 per cent of prescription drugs are still synthesised from plants. In fact, the word ‘drug’ comes from an old Dutch word, drogge, which means ‘to dry’ – which is how many plant medications were prepared. However, it is always wise to remember, just because something is “naturally” growing from a tree, doesn’t mean it’s safe to consume.

Our grandparents and older folks would swear of the healing properties of herbs, leaves, roots and seeds that cured diseases which they contracted. The fact that our ancestors survived proved that some of the many remedies used then, did work and have increasing practical applications today.  [Read More:  Traditional Home Remedies of Guyana]

Comments

• Clyde Duncan  On 06/15/2013 at 3:09 pm

This is a great one, Dmitri !! I spent about 18 years in Guyana and could attest that your article ‘Traditional Home Remedies of Guyana’ brought a smile to my face so that my cheeks hurt at the end LOL [laugh out loud]. I have consumed or been a victim or recipient, in some way, of all of the medications mentioned in the article. Since, I am still alive and in one piece after over 64 years [knock on wood] the Traditional Remedies of Guyana must be a good thing. Keep up the good work that you do, walking us down Memory Lane. Thank You!!

• Gloria Y Fredericks  On 06/15/2013 at 4:12 pm

How refreshing. You brought back memories, and even now after more than fifty years out of Guyana, I still return to many of the old remedies which I believe work just as well or at times better than modern medicine. Great article. Only wish that you have a publication that can be purchased. Good also for sharing with my children and grandchildren. Congratulations for a very informative article that brought back memories.

• Margaret Berry  On 06/15/2013 at 4:40 pm

Loved the home remedies. Some I know but others will be very useful
    to know. Many thanks!!

• Cliff Simon  On 06/16/2013 at 12:36 am

Afew weeks ago ,I made some comments re: the ‘ice house’ & D.I.H.,I pointed out what I know to be inaccuracies.Up to now I have’nt been granted the courtesy oy a reply.

• Dmitri Allicock  On 06/16/2013 at 11:33 am

Hello Mr. Simon and a great morning to you Sir,
    I responded under comments: https://guyaneseonline.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/the-ice-trade-of-british-guiana-by-dmitri-allicock/
    Have a blessed day Sir.

• Dmitri Allicock  On 06/16/2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks guys, there are a lot more to say on some of the remedies that Guyanese still used. I can remember the great qualities of the various ferns like the “Miranda” on wounds, “Black Sage “for teeth, “Okra Slime” for sore eye..and a lot more
    All the best,

• Derek Poole  On 06/17/2013 at 4:57 pm

Fantastic work here , Dimitri. Keep up the good work. I have printed a copy to keep in my archives.

• Gloria Y Fredericks  On 06/18/2013 at 1:08 am

Please send and let me know where your publication “Traditional Home Remedies of Guyana” can be obtained. I am in the USA. Thanks.

• terrytrekker  On 06/18/2013 at 8:23 pm

Great stuff Dimitri. I still use the aloe plant, but I think they come from Mexico. The ones from Guyana are much softer. Soursop leaf is in great demand in the USA also. Great alternative for chemo.

• Lynette Andrews Baker  On 06/19/2013 at 1:58 pm

Some of these Guyana homemade remedies bring back very pleasant memories, but as someone who uses herbal remedies I can say with conviction that we were way ahead of the curve long ago. I still use some of them as they are available in the Guyana stores here in the USA, and am happy to report that they still do their job adequately.

• T M Watson  On 06/25/2013 at 3:39 pm

Excellent information. I’m not a big fan of western medicine, anyway. I’m convinced that what the pharmaceutical megaliths call alternative medicine is actually the “real medicine.” Big Pharma offers the poisonous alternative.Thanks for posting this information!

• Dmitri Allicock  On 10/12/2013 at 11:27 am