Gov’t, opposition unite on motion to clean up Georgetown

Gov’t, opposition unite on motion to clean up Georgetown

(Demerara Waves)  14 March 2013

Picture: Parliament Building where the National Assembly sits.

The government late Thursday night 14th March 2013 threw its support behind an opposition motion which calls for a concerted effort to restore Georgetown to its former glory.

The motion was piloted in the National Assembly by the APNU’s Volda Lawrence.

It called on the government to utilise “every machinery, work force, and agencies at its disposal” in an effort to “restore Georgetown to the Garden City of the Caribbean.”

The motion also called for the establishment of a committee consisting of Members of Parliament, Officials of the Georgetown City Council, Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development and the Ministry of Transport and Hydraulics to monitor the progress of the restoration of Georgetown and report to the National Assembly within four months of the establishment of the Committee.

The motion, which drew lengthy debate that got testy at times, was passed sometime after 11 PM with the incorporation of several government amendments.

The unanimity on the motion’s passage followed the opposition’s earlier voting down of a government amendment bill which sought to plug a loophole in the Firearms Act by making firearms trafficking an offence.

The opposition’s objection was as a result of the bill being piloted by Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee in whom they say they have no confidence.

Comments

• kamptan  On 03/15/2013 at 7:22 am

excellent news…after the clean up is completed a “before” and “after”
    picture/video should be used to advertise Georgetown as a place to be
    proud of…to visit….

Local laws can then be introduced to curb litter dumping…vigorously enforced
    with “fines” for both individuals and companies…on the spot fines !

Discipline is costly to enforce and “wages” can be offset with “fines”

a step forward
    my sincere congratulations to both government and opposition for acting in tandem in the interest of GUYANA and GUYANESE
    well done ! intend to visit GT again in nov/dec 2013 as I usually summer in
    euroland …spain portugal italy greece and ireland (south) as most of my immediate family and friends live in UK
    peace and love
    kamptan

• Penelope Harris  On 03/15/2013 at 12:26 pm

I am so glad that this is being done. I hope the cemetery will also be restored and that some dignity will come to citizens of Georgetown . Without a vision the people perish.

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On 03/15/2013 at 5:27 pm

This is a step forward in the right direction. At school in the old days, it was ingrained in us the importance of keeping our home and surroundings clean. That mentality changed slowly after our independence.

• kamptan  On 03/15/2013 at 5:44 pm

rosalliene

the world has changed
    the world will change
    the world must change

GUYANA has changed
    GUYANA will change
    GUYANA must change

or die in its sleep of ignorance….

forever the optimist

kamptan

• Deen  On 03/15/2013 at 8:36 pm

This is one of the best piece of political news I’ve heard in a long time. Cleaning up and restoring Georgetown to its prestigious position as “The Garden City of the Caribbean” would be a rewarding accomplishment. And it would reflect positively on all political parties. Especially since it’s a project that will involve everyone. Also, the succes of the cleanup project will symbolize that Guyana can change and move forward if all parties work together in harmony for the progress of the country and the betterment of the people. Again, it will put it’s motto into action ….One People, One Nation, One Destiny. As the eternal optimist Kampton says “Guyana will change, Guyana must change.” And to that I’ll add Guyana cannot become what it could be by remaining what it is.

• wycs  On 03/15/2013 at 11:41 pm

I will wait until this comes on stream to make any comment.

• kamptan  On 03/16/2013 at 12:41 am

wycs
    pessimist ! but pragmatically so !

on my trip in november/december I will certainly have my camera in hand….
    the pictures will reflect the change in the 6-8 months….
    its implimentation/enforcement will determine its success….

the way i see it….
    kamptan

• Joseph D Archibald  On 03/16/2013 at 5:38 pm

It’s about time try getting the City Council back to work too

• Elder Wayne Collymore  On 03/17/2013 at 7:43 pm

After they are finished with the city, begin the clean out of all the old style politicans and politics. Start with retiring all over 60.In with the young and better educated.

• de castro  On 03/18/2013 at 10:31 am

elder
    please dont “age disciminate” …I am 69 and looking forward to my 100th
    birthday…seniors like myself can influence “change” …. hopefully for the better !

I do agree with early retirement ….as I retired at 60 so giving a younger person a better chance of a job….I was a trade unionist in ROYAL MAIL UK for 20 years before my retirement with most of my “disagreements” with my own union bosses than RoyalMail ones.
    I also think “old thinking” should change or be replaced if “stubborn” or “stupid” !
    Our world is changing
    Our world will change
    Our “thiking” attitudes must change.!!

I empathise with your frustrations !

kamptan

• Cyril Balkaran  On 03/18/2013 at 11:28 am

Was the support given on the Opposition Motion to clean up Georgetown A Conscience Vote? The price for Peaceful progress can always come from an accommodation. gone are the days of Confrontation. What not can be achieved by cooperation and the very 65 men and women in that Parliament knows this very well. Hamilton Green must be the happiest mayor in Town these days!

• de castro  On 03/18/2013 at 1:25 pm

Cyril
    After the cleanup is complete we shall see if the standard is maintained
    or enforcement necessary…
    Also the traffic hazard in market square is hopefully addressed.
    Having a beautifully clean and hazard free city centre must be
    every mayors dream !
    The pride will return in time…
    Kamptan

• Clyde Duncan  On 03/20/2013 at 5:04 am

Let me add my vote of confidence and pride in reading this wonderful news from the “Garden City of the Caribbean”. I must add to de Castro’s list of change that we need a “culture change”. It would help the city sanitation workers perform their clean-up if we had a “Culture Change” as opposed to ten-thousand folks coming along behind them improperly disposing of their garbage. I’m certainly for By-Law penalties for improper disposal of garbage in the City and every where else, for that matter; but I am totally against monetary fines. I say, give the culprits garbage bags, reflective vests, and have a By-law enforcement officer [Municipal Police] escort the lot of them around for at least a week, on “Community Service”, while they clean up the mess they created. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, they say! It seems, to me, that the leadership is finally coming around to recognizing that we came on different ships, but we are in the same boat. It’s great to see the leadership of Georgetown and Guyana, finally pulling together.

Next step: Culture Change! New By-Law penalties for littering, like “Community Service” – Get the people on your side! Hey Big Brother, as soon as you arrive; you better get in touch with the people, Big Brother – Take a closer look at the people you meet and notice the feeling that I – Everyone is getting tired of waiting – Now that you’ve got the picture …. What you going to do?…!! – Rare Earth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1QG7J61YI

• kamptan  On 03/20/2013 at 8:31 am

clyde
    I stand corrected…
    maybe the compromise…
    fines for businesses who dump….community services for individuals who dump.
    my “dumping” is usuallt in a porcelain bowl flushed with water.
    As a country boy growing up it was a “sespit”….most of the fruit tress
    planted in the re-used areas where the sespits were proved fertility of soil.
    Recycling is now a big issue on our planet and more than half of our “waste” materials can be recycled..another option for GT the garden city.
    On my first visit to TORONTO in 90s I was so impressed with the cleanliness
    of the place that made several returns in years that followed ….today that standard is still being maintained by the introduction of by-laws that must be
    vigirously enforced….but it is however a costly neccessity…and it also create jobs.

clyde culture change will come quicker if forced/enforced
    slower if not !
    I did enjoy the idea of “community service” as it is working elsewhere so why not GT.Hope dem 65 elected representatives are listening …ha ha !
    at my cynical best
    kamptan..ps I will certainly visit HRH LORD MAYOR on my next visit to GT later 2013