The Special Story of Nancy Allicock (1820-1848) by Dmitri Allicock

THE SPECIAL STORY OF NANCY ALLICOCK {1820-1848}

THE LAST PRINCESS OFNOOITGEDACHT AND UPPER DEMERARA

By Dmitri Allicock                                                For the Guyanese Online Blog

The rhythm of life alongside the peaceful and pristine black waters of Upper Demerara holds many secrets of forgotten history of the past two centuries. The story of Nancy Allicock my three times great grandmother is one of those forgotten treasures of antiquity and a lost age.

Nancy Allicock was probable the most recognized and remembered one of the nine children of Robert Frederick Allicock of Upper Demerara and plantations Noitgedacht and Retrieve. Very little personal information have survived and the life stories of the children are now lost to time and the fog of history.

Nancy’s short life is however a bit of an exception though fragmented and mostly forgotten too. She was believed to be as young as two years old at the time her father’s death. In Robert Frederick Allicock’s 1822 Will, Nancy was well cared for by her father as expressed in item six, granting her property, slaves and financial maintenance.

[more  … THE SPECIAL STORY OF NANCY ALLICOCK – 1820-1848

Comments

• Susan Encinas.  On October 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Does anyone know anything about Dr. Clavier and his family?

• Rosaliene Bacchus  On October 14, 2012 at 6:53 am

Beautiful and sad story, Dmitri. It’s also part of the collective past of our nation. Thanks for sharing.

• Dmitri allicock  On October 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

“Every man is an omnibus in which his ancestors ride.” Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894) American author and poet
    So much our personal and cultural history is loss to the ages for a number of reasons; the story of Nancy underscores the value of heritage and family.
    Some may say that yesterday is gone forever and today is the only time we have; the truth is, life grows from the seeds of our thoughts, emotions and vision. Yesterday memories are today’s realities making heritage so much more important.

• Deen  On October 15, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Dmitri, this is a fascinating story. I’m glad you were able to find the vine that led to your ancestral tree, that finally uncovered the wonderful history of your great great grandmother, Nancy Allicock, What a remarkable woman!.
    Since we recently started communicating, I suspected there was something regal about you. Now, with the revelation of Nancy Allicock’s story, it confirmed your blue blood lineage. Thanks so much for bringing this rich part of Guyanese history to our attention and sharing your family history with us.

• Richard  On March 13, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Beautiful story.
      You wrote about your Fiedtkou family ties. I am interested, as my grandmother was a Fiedtkou born about 1880? I have read in other articles about other Fiedkou brothers.
      I am looking for some help, in finding out which branch of the Fiedtkou tree my grandmother is from

• Dmitri allicock  On October 16, 2012 at 1:12 am

You had me cracking up here. I am just a humble guy who appreciates the meaning of family and heritage.
    The conclusion of this story, I must admit, still gets my emotions going and is difficult for me to read the words out loudly.

• compton de castro  On January 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm

emotively true story …. wow wow …..
    jungle princess et al ….wonderful historical re-incarnation..

thanks for sharing