Daily Archives: July 25, 2012

LAST LAP LIME 2012 – Toronto – August 6, 2012

PLANNED PROGRAM –  Flyer  – Program schedule for 2012 – Last Lap Lime

DOMINO TOURNAMENT  – Flyer:  Domino Tournament -Last Lap Lime 2012

South Florida Guyanese Association – Georgetown Bi-Centennial Bash – August 11, 2012

Albion strike – GuySuCo faces heavy financial loss – strike ends

GuySuCo faces heavy financial loss

July 25, 2012 | By | …as Albion cane harvesters strike action intensifies

 Another strike has gripped the sugar industry. The sugar workers at Albion Estate continued their strike action yesterday when hundreds of workers, mainly harvesters, supported by some other staff, came out again in their numbers.
And officers from the Tactical Services Unit (TSU) were on the scene in the event of any disruptions by the workers.

More than 500 workers attached to the Albion/Port Mourant Estate on the Corentyne, on Monday intensified strike actions– in its eighth day– to demand a higher price for canes. Workers, mainly cane harvesters, blocked the entrance to the sugar factory on Monday.
They are demanding $4,000 to cut the ‘over-run’ [bad] cane and not $1,600 and $1,800 that are being offered to them at present. A quantity of canes were reportedly left back and not cut during the last crop. This cane is now spoiled and the estate officials do not want to pay the workers the full price for them.  Continue reading

Lindeners shot through heart with “bronze-capped” rounds – independent pathologist

Lindeners shot through heart with “bronze-capped” rounds – independent pathologist

Wednesday, 25 July 2012 12:51 – Demerara Waves

Independent pathologist Professor Hubert Daisley says preliminary results from Wednesday’s autopsies on the three Linden protesters indicate that the men were all shot through the heart with “bronze-tipped” rounds and not rubber pellets as the police contend.

The Trinidad and Tobago expert witnessed the autopsies conducted by government pathologist Dr. Nehaul Singh on the men killed in clashes with the police a week ago.

According to Professor Daisley, the three men all died in similar fashion with two shot in the chest and the other through the back.   Continue reading

AFC on Linden – Nigel Hughes and Moses Nagamootoo – video

AFC on Linden – Nigel Hughes and Moses Nagamootoo – video

The opposition parties are making it clear that the Home Affairs Minister – Clement Rohee – cannot divorce himself from the police force’s action at Linden last week during a protest by residents. The police riot squad in an effort to disperse the protesting crowd fired live rounds at the protestors. Three of them died. Over 20 others were seriously injured. There have been calls for Rohee to resign, he says he is staying put. The opposition will now be moving to the national assembly with a no confidence motion. AFC Executive member, Attorney Nigel Hughes said the Home Affairs Minister should allow his conscience to be his guide and just demit office. Continue reading

President wants Linden issues revisited – July 23, 2012 address – video

President wants Linden issues revisited.

It took him 5 days after the shooting death of the 3 linden protestors by the Police to address the nation but in that address last evening (July 23, 2012), President Donald Ramotar said he is now willing to discuss the increased Linden electricity tariffs and will in fact be setting up a technical team to not only review those increases but to listen to other options being put forward. It’s a complete turnaround in the administration’s position over the past few months, a position that saw very little dialogue with concerned citizens.    Continue reading

Linden Unrest – News Update – July 25, 2012 – 8 articles

Govt to re-examine Linden tariffs – President Ramotar

JULY 24, 2012 | FILED UNDER NEWS

Head of State Donald Ramotar last night announced, during an eight-minute address to the nation, that the method used to increase electricity tariffs in Linden will be re-examined. “I am willing to examine all options. I will establish a technical team to review all available and practicable options and attendant implications, financial and otherwise, to […]

 Rohee should accept responsibility for Linden shooting and resign – APNU

JULY 25, 2012 | FILED UNDER NEWS

    –    Coalition  declares ‘Day of Mourning’

The main opposition parliamentary party, A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) is maintaining that the Minister of Home Affairs Clement Rohee should accept ‘ministerial responsibility’ for the Linden killings and must be asked to resign. This position was reiterated yesterday as the coalition called for today to […]         Continue reading

PNCR march in city granted police permission – for July 25, 2011

PNCR march in city granted police permission

Posted By Stabroek editor On July 24, 2012

The Guyana Police Force says it is informing the general public that approval has been given for the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) to hold a march tomorrow, Wednesday July 25, 2012, commencing at 1200h.

Police said that the march will move off from the Arch on Brickdam, and proceed west along Brickdam, culminating at the Saint Stanislaus College.

%d bloggers like this: