Rainstorm- an Arawak story – by Dmitri Allicock

Rainstorm- an Arawak story

A nostalgic story of childhood in Guyana… for rainy days

By Dmitri Allicock for Guyanese Online

Outside the hut, the rain was beginning to fall.  Inside, the old Arawak sat with his grandchildren.
“Ah! Said the old man, Rainstorm is weeping.”
“Who is Rainstorm?” asked the boy. “Why is Rainstorm weeping?” asked the girls.
This is the story that the old man told…

Long, long ago, before men lived on the earth, there was a great land among the clouds called Skyland.
No one had ever seen the earth.
People lived in Skyland just as they live on the earth today.  The men and boys hunted and fished. The women and girls cooked and washed.
After a great hunt, there would be a great feast.
Then the Great Hunter would sing:
Ya-ho!  Ya-ho!
Ya-ho! Ho-ho!
And all the mothers of girls and boys would join and sing:
Ya-ho! Ho-ho!

Download article:  RAINSTORM- A nostalgic Arawak story for children

Comments

• DMITRI ALLICOCK  On 07/04/2012 at 12:35 am

PS.
    The story of Rainstorm was taken from the Caribbean Reader book two : by A J Newman and Sir Philip Sherlock -1939 edition.

• Florence I. Mangru  On 07/09/2012 at 1:40 pm

Thank you for printing this story. I first read it in Kindergarten in Guyana and had memorized some parts of it. Leaving Guyana as a small child, we could only take a “grip” with us, that left very little room for books. I am now 46 years old and can’t tell you how many times I remembered this story through the years. When Google became available, I searched for it, but never found it. I have a deep appreciation for literature now as an adult and also for indigenous cultures of the world and I am so grateful to you for giving me back a piece of my early childhood. Thanks!!!

• DMITRI ALLICOCK  On 07/13/2012 at 2:12 am

Most of us migrated to a new life with just the shirt on our back but a heart filled with rich memories and hope.
    A relative on mine is a pack rat like myself who value the simple things which bonds us and really matters.
    Stay in touch and god bless
    Dmitri

• Judy Lawrie nee Newman  On 09/15/2012 at 3:28 am

A J Newman was my grandfather and though I never got to meet him (we moved to Canada in ’55) he sent me a complete set of the Caribbean Readers which my grandsons now have. It makes me very happy when I see articles/comments about him and the books he wrote so many years later . Thank you

• Marvelyn Jacob  On 08/02/2017 at 1:23 pm

Hi Judy how of The Caribbean Reader Introductory Book One and Three? Glad to know you are related to this great author.

• DMITRI ALLICOCK  On 09/15/2012 at 7:57 pm

I am deeply moved to hear from you Judy, the granddaughter of legendary A J Newman and would like you to know that his great work which fashioned and influenced the early childhood of so many is still remembered and deeply appreciated.
    God bless you and all his family and thank you most kindly.
    Dmitri

• Tasanna Kelly  On 01/12/2014 at 1:30 pm

Wow!! Can’t believe I actually found it! I am from St. Kitts…our school just got the Caribbean Readers and We are starting the book tomorrow (monday)… Rainstorm is the first story and I was doing some research about the Tainos so that I can give the students some background info.

• Dmitri Allicock  On 01/13/2014 at 1:44 am

Awesome Tasanna! Let me know how it goes

• Charles Sukhdeo  On 01/13/2014 at 2:36 am

My primary school days we used the West Indian Reader and Royal reader. I am an avid reader of children stories. I spend hours upon hours in the children’s section reading stories upon stories. If as adults you start reading children’s books you will discover how wonderful you were made and how great a love humanity was blessed with. They say seeing is believing and believing is seeing. But my gosh, we look up to the sky and we say “twinkle, twinkle little star how I wonder what you are.” Live a child in your adult live and you will find that second opportunity to discover your childhood innocence and angel infancy. And that is truth and beauty.

• Dmitri Allicock  On 01/13/2014 at 10:57 am

So beautiful and well said Charles.