Original Folk Songs of Guyana – four videos

Original Folk Songs of Guyana

Here are FOUR videos featuring some of the folk songs from Guyana.  The third video features the Presidents of Guyana since Independence in 1966.

Comments

• Isha Gosine  On 06/20/2012 at 10:53 am

listening to this album makes me so emotional I used to appear in skits with these folk songs the best of the rest .Thank u just for reminding us where and who we r Guyanese to the bone

• DMITRI ALLICOCK  On 06/20/2012 at 6:30 pm

I feel the same way listening to the rich folk music of Guyana.
      The music comes from the earth, from work, from yielding or starving, from grief and from joy, from fighting or from living. Sometimes it is not politically correct as we listen to the distant past stories each song told but it does reflect the culture of that time. The essence and spirit of the songs brings that warm welcoming feeling of home to me.

• Marius. O. Okker  On 06/20/2012 at 8:49 pm

What a pleasure it is to hear the old Guyana songs. We thoroughly enjoyed listening and shall keep them for our children, who were both born in then British-Guiana, when I worked for 12 years in your lovely country in the then booming sugar and rum- industry. Kindest regards, M.O. Okker.

• wycs  On 06/21/2012 at 6:09 pm

As the above persons have written, I myself have had the pleasure of hearing these beautiful folk songs sung by various groups in my Guyana. Listening to these oldies once again, they bring back memories of the Colonial days when Guyana known as British Guiana then, these folk songs were played and sung regularly. I will surely save this in one of my folders and play them on a regular basis like in the good old days. Thanks Mr Bryan.

• Jan  On 06/23/2012 at 9:25 pm

Memories of Vesta Lowe, the Police Male Voice Choir, the ML Singers, Music Festival running for days at the Town Hall and Queen’s College.
    God bless those who came before and left us such quality.

• Sonia Moore Williams  On 07/03/2012 at 1:47 am

There is nothing like these guyanese folksongs, I am playing these folk songs for my father as he awaits his call to enter the pearly gates at 97 years old. I hope he can hear and remember those sweet times that are now faded memories.

• Roger Ally  On 07/11/2012 at 6:57 pm

This is the true Guyanese folk songs we grew up…not the chutneyfiedrastsafied sudnarpopoized vulgarity that is foisted on the youth as Guyanese culture.

• punardai heeralall  On 07/14/2012 at 1:50 pm

Ah c.mon Roger, back down a little.what do you mean by CHUTNEYFIED AND SUNDARPOPOIZED-it sounds like there,s a lot of strong issues there.Remember we are a country of so many different races and each one leaves a little touch of that rich cultural heritage that we have now

• Beby Shaffura' Abdulla Overton  On 07/11/2012 at 9:37 pm

Wonderful songs, nostalgic, and brings forth the true realism of the people and country; the pleasant colony we grew up in. Thank you

• Deb  On 04/10/2014 at 9:38 am