Pauline Thomas – “Auntie Comsee”

“AUNTIE COMSEE”

— Guyanese radio “Creolese Comedy Program” of the 1970’s . .. funny!!

This is an interview with Camille Ross of Toronto’s Guyana Beat” TV program that was recorded  a couple of years ago…

This will stir some memories.     Enjoy

Here is the link:

Comments

• francis jackson  On 10/20/2010 at 8:06 pm

Well, Well – I enjoyed every bit of auntie comsee – I was laughing to myself as I was listening to auntie comsee speak. No I am not mentally ill; but appreciate the creolese in me as a Guyanese.
    I cannot understand why some of our people are so idiotic in critizing creolese – they behave as though creolese is unknown to us and not part of our language – thanks for Wordswoth McAndrew and others who from time to time remind us of the creolese in us. Yes, we must be able to speak perfect english and creolese; but not look upon creolese as disdainful – we are bilingual. In my part of town, my fellow countryman would make a special trip to visit her 90 year old aunt to hear her speak creolese because she left Guyana several years ago and have lost the creolose in her speech and hearing.
    Thanks aunti comsee and to Cyril Bryan – keep the info coming.

• Kamala Gupta  On 10/24/2010 at 4:25 pm

Oct 20,2010
    Hi Cyril,
    I’m Minty Persaud from Friendship E.C.D your dad was my head teacher at Lusignan where I taugth for 7 years with Mr Yearwood and others. Congratulations for you committment to bring all these Guyanese gems to us overseas.When I come shortly home I’ll connect if it’s ok.
    To all fellow Guyanese I send greetings and love from the depth of my heart. Was married and my name is Kamala Gupta
    Again thank you.

• Cyril Bryan  On 10/24/2010 at 4:29 pm

Hello Kamala:

Thank you for your e-mail.
    By the way I now live in Barbados, but I lived in the Toronto area for over 30 years before moving here.
    It is great to meet the people that we knew when we were younger, although you may not have known me.
    What years did you go to Lusignan School? I taught there for about four years in the late 1950’s. My Dad left there in 1962. I think Mr. Butisingh too over after that. Do you know him? He has a Blog randallbutisingh.wordpress.com, which I helped him set up three years ago. He will be 98 on this December 1, but he has slowed down due to ill health. Please check out his Blog… he is the world’s oldest blogger.
    I talked to Chadwick Yearwood a few months ago… He is in the USA
    Thanks again for writing
    Regards
    Cyril

• Veda Mohabir  On 10/24/2010 at 4:37 pm

Sent: Thu, October 21, 2010 10:28:32 AM
    Subject: Fw: [GUYANA Forever] Pauline Thomas – “Auntie Comsee”

Cyril, old pal, how are you? To jog your memory, I joined you at Wm Mercer Ltd (Actuarial Consultants), Toronto. Also, prior to that, I was at the Treasury Dept where you came to reconcile your accounts for QC. We last met in Toronto few yrs ago at a at a ‘Las Lap’ or at a Guyana Day event.

Re Aunt Comsee: I acted in several shows at the Theatre Guild, GT, with this grand lady. Sometimes, when she sees me she repeats my lines from shows. For those who don’t know, her brother was Roy McArthur, silver or gold medallist in a Commonwealth Games (worked at the Treasury where I worked as well). She is also ret’d Judge Lampkin’s sis-in-law.
    Saw this interview when it was first aired. I know the interviewer’s (Camille’s) family, as well. We attend the same temple.

Keep up the good work with your electronic mag on Guyana/Guyanese.

Veda

• JW  On 09/08/2011 at 1:50 pm

where can I buy some auntie comsee on cd?tape? Please someone let me know…thanks