Guyanese Online Newsletter – April 2010

Guyanese Online Newsletter – April 2010-< download

IN THIS ISSUE:

• Page 1– Masthead picture – The Takutu Bridge;  Brazilian Trade Delegation visits Guyana. ICC – World 20/20 Competition in the West Indies links
    Page 2– Editorial; Map of Guyana;   Brazil-Guyana Trade talks (contd)
    Page 3 – Linden could be conduit to Brazil trade by year end.
    Page 4 – Guyana in USA List of “next decade” oil and gas producers;   Iran Geological Team Arrives.
    Page 5– Cheaper alternatives to Hope Guy$3.6B relief canal– says Engineers Group.; Gold declarations plunge 40% in January 2010; Guyana signs US$25M  IDB loan for Transport Infrastructure.
    Page 6– Japan provides 35 solar water pumps for Hinterland;  Scotiabank donates 100 computers to schools;   Red Thread inks Grant Pact with Japan;   Latter Day Saints donate gear to group.
    Page 7– GUYFEST – Crownsville Maryland, USA on July 10, 2010 – Advertisement
    Page 8– Arannputa women open Peanut Factory in Rupununi.
    Page 9– Bishops’ High School—Education Feature.
    Page 10– Last Lap Lime- 15th Anniversary;  Guyana Reunion Message;  BC Association- Rama Diallo; GABI-  Mashramani and Phagwah Celebrations, and the Caribbean Netball Competition in Barbados.
    Page 11– Hansib Publications—40 year Anniversary;   Lal Balkaran’s new book and DVD on Amerindians; Rocky Mirza Book on American Political History;   The Arts Journal.– March 2010.
    Page 12– Ron Savory’s Evocations at National Gallery in Guyana;   Godfrey Chin’s Nostalgias Link;  Ken Corsbie: Videos on Guyana and the Caribbean.
    Page 13– The Primacy of Hope by Dave Martins.
    Pages 14&15– Guyana and Local Government —The Village Movement —170th year Anniversary; History of Radio in British Guiana.

We hope you find it interesting!

Cyril Bryan. Editor / Publisher
Guyanese Online Newsletter and Blog

Comments

• Edwin Ali  On 04/24/2010 at 4:44 am

Very interesting, Keep up the good work

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:18 am

Thank you Edwin for your comment and your support Sorry for the delay inreponding… busy busy Cy

• Joan (Leow)  On 04/24/2010 at 4:46 am

Hello Cyril

Congratulations on the Newsletter; it makes very good reading and provides great info on ‘home’. In 2005 I received an online copy of your article on the Floods in GT and it was the best analysis of the situation. My cousin, Godfrey Meertens, forwarded the most recent issue of the Newsletter to me.

Would you please add our email to your mailing list. Please also add my sister-in-law, Barbara Atherly, who is far away in Mozambique on UN assignment
    Thanks and keep up the good work.

Your friend
    (Joan) (formerly Leow)

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:53 am

Hello Joan:
      Hi Joan .. thanks for your compliments.
      I replied to you earlier by e-mail.
      I do hope that you and your sister-in-law- Barbara both enjoyed the newsletter and Blog.
      The May edition should be out in a week or so… hope you like that as well.
      You are now on the main mailing list..
      Keep well!
      Cy

• Des Jardine  On 04/24/2010 at 4:48 am

Congrats on the recent newsletter.
    Job well done.
    Best regards,
    Des Jardine (Toronto)

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:50 am

Thank you Des for your compliments.
      Hope to see you in Barbados again when it gets too cold up there in Toronto…. I miss Toronto though!
      Kindest regards
      Cy

• Fitzgerald Yaw  On 04/24/2010 at 4:52 am

Thanks Cyril
    Best wishes on your project

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:48 am

I will keep on trying my best with each publication!
      Regards
      Cy

• Slater Jeffrey  On 04/24/2010 at 4:55 am

Thank you Cyril Bryan! Looking forward to read more of your publication.

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:39 am

Hello Slater:

Thanks for your comment. I do hope that you liked the publication. The May edition should be out in early May… Hope you like its as well. Regards Cy

• WHL Allsopp  On 04/24/2010 at 4:57 am

Thank you Cyril. This is excellent, keep up the good work.
    Bert A.

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:46 am

Hello Bert:
      Thank you for your compliments.
      Also thanks for your long and detailed e-mail last month in regard to my efforts in starting this publication. Your words of wisdom are always welcome.
      I would like to carry something on your work in Fisheries in Guyana and around the world. Maybe you can send me something – will talk soon!

Regards
      Cy

• Jan Obermuller  On 04/24/2010 at 4:58 am

Thanks Cy, will forward to my friends.

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:36 am

Hi Jan: Thanks Jan… Hope that everything is going fine Have a greta day on the beach with the GABI folks on Heroes Day on April 28.: Keep up the good work at GABI Barbados. Cy

• Chris N  On 04/24/2010 at 5:00 am

Cyril, thanks for forwarding the letter. I will pass it on to those Guyanese I know.

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:34 am

Thanks Chris for your support and for forwarding the newsletter Kindest regards Cy

• Bryan, Kim  On 04/24/2010 at 5:01 am

Thanks Cyril.

• Cassandra Crawford  On 04/24/2010 at 5:03 am

Thank you for sharing.
    Warm regards,

• Mike U-Ming  On 04/24/2010 at 5:04 am

Thanks Cyril. Very good and informative as usual.
    Mike

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:26 am

Hi Mike: Thanks for your compliments and words of encouragement. How is Vancouver now that the Winter Olympics are over? Hope that you have an enjoyable Spring and Summer…. Thanks again! Regards Cy

• George Richards  On 04/24/2010 at 5:06 am

Hi Cyril
    Great stuff…
    You are going from strength to strength…
    Have been forwarding this to other Guyanese in the Diaspora..
    George

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:30 am

Hi George: I know that I did reply to you earlier. However, thanks once more for distributing the Newsletter and your compliments and words of support I know that you must be quite exited about the elections in T&T. Hope to see you in the summer Cheers! Cy

• George K. McLean  On 04/24/2010 at 5:07 am

Cyril,
    Congratulations on all the fine work you are doing. Peace.
    Regards, George

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 5:23 am

Hello George and Joan:

I am not sure if I replied earlier. However much thanks for your positive comments on my work. Gives me the energy to continue. Hope you have started golfing now that there is an early Spring in Toronto,

Kindest Regards Cy

• Donna Thomson  On 04/24/2010 at 5:08 am

Hi Cyril; good stuff; interesting.

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 6:04 am

Hello readers of the Newsletter and Blog:

Thanks to all those who have called me with the compliments regarding the newsletter.
    Thanks also to those who may have e-mailed me and whose complimentary e-mails may have been missed in the busy time after the mail outs were done. I will have to check my mail again!

The newsletter has been well received and we estimate that at least 40,000 have received the newsletter either from our database, the data bases of various organizations, groups we belong to, and the the forwarding of the newsletter by individuals.

Visitors to the Blog are also increasing. Now that things are moving along well, we would be putting more items on the Blog on a regular basis so that there are always new items top read whenever you visit. We had a successful first month on the Blog with over 6,000 visitors.. so keep on visiting..

I know that most people -like myself- read newsletters but do not respond so that is understandable. However, when I do get feedback, support and advice from readers, this helps in making for a better publication.

Thanks you all for your support!
    Regards
    Cy

• Rocky Mirza  On 04/24/2010 at 9:23 pm

to guyaneseonline@gmail.com
    date Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    subject page 11 articles

Hi Cyril
    Thanks so much for the article you included in the recent Guyanese newsletter about my book, The Rise and Fall of the American Empire. I also noticed that it was on the same page as your article on Hansib publications. The founder of Hansib, Ariff Ali, is my cousin
    Your newsletter is well researched and very informative. Great work!
    Rocky

Dr. Rocky Mirza, Faculty
    Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning

• guyaneseonline  On 04/24/2010 at 9:34 pm

Hello Rocky:

Pardon the delay in replying to your e-mail… as I have been quite busy with the next issue which should be out in a week or so.
      Thanks for your compliments. I was glad to be of service in getting you and your book know to our readers.
      I have not heard from Arif, but I presume he is traveling and is quite busy as well.
      All the best with your work and research at Thompson Rivers University.
      Regards