Daily Archives: March 1, 2010

St. Stanislaus College – Georgetown

St. Stanislaus College – Georgetown, Guyana.

Saint Stanislaus College is a co-educational High school located in Georgetown, Guyana.    Website:  http://www.saints.edu.gy/

St. Stanislaus College was founded as an all-boy Catholic high school that was operated by the Jesuits. The college became co-educational in 1975 and became a government school in 1976, after being a Catholic institution for 110 years.

Student Body: Students come from all over Guyana.

St. Stanislaus College enrolls students in Forms 1 through  Form 6. 5th Form students sit the Caribbean School Examination Committee (CSEC) examinations – the equivalent of GCE O-Levels. Those students who continue on to 6th Form sit the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Certificate (A-Level) also set by the Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC).

Enrollment: Enrollment for the 2008-2009 school year is approximately 555 students. (Student ratio 13:1).  In 2005 and 2008, St. Stanislaus College received awards for being the most improved Secondary school based on the CSEC results.

Read about the History of St. Stanislaus  College in Guyana on the following link:- http://www.saints.edu.gy/SSC-History.pdf

Read the article in Guyanese Online and see links to Alumni Associations  here: St. Stanislaus College -Georgetown.  Guyana

(Appeared in Guyanese Online Newsletter – March 2010  – page 7)

Guyana Christian Charities (Canada) Inc

Guyana Christian Charities (Canada) Inc

WHAT DO THEY DO?

  • We provide aid and assistance to the poor and needy, sometimes through organisations/ hospitals
  • We assist in the education of the underprivileged
  • We raise funds in our community through our Annual Food and Bake Sale, our Dances, cash and memorial donations
  • We collect and ship donated articles such as books, computers, toys etc to organisations in Guyana
  • We  provide long term support to the orphanages, and the Burn Care Unit of the Georgetown Hospital
  • We provide scholarships to the Marian Academy– a school in Georgetown.

WHO DO THEY HELP?

The organization supports Groups, communities and individuals throughout Guyana from the coastlands to the Rupununi savannahs. To date, the list of organisations supported totals over 60, encompassing all races and creeds within Guyana..

The main recipients of our aid include Hospitals, Missions in the Interior, Schools and Orphanages.

(Read more about the organization at the following link)     Guyana Christian Charities Canada Inc

(Appeared in Guyanese Online Newsletter- March 2010 – Page 8)

Sir James Douglas monument unveiled at Mahaica

Sir James Douglas monument unveiled at Mahaica at Carifesta X – as a project of the Guyanese Canadian Cultural Association of British Columbia, Canada.

SIR James Douglas, a son of the soil from Belmont, Mahaica who became the first Governor of British Columbia in Canada in the nineteenth century was honoured on Thursday, August 28, 2008 with a monument in his name.

The monument was unveiled by Prime Minister Samuel Hinds in the presence of Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport Dr. Frank Anthony; Minister within the Ministry of Education Dr. Desrey Fox;  Chairman of the Ethnic Relations Commission (ERC) Bishop Juan Edghill;  President of the Guyanese Canadian Cultural Association of British Columbia (GCCABC), Clyde Duncan and Mahaica residents.

This historic figure, who many know little about, was born to the mother of a slave and the father of a wealthy planter from Scotland who owned many plantations.  He was born in 1803, and departed Guyana in 1812 with his father and brother to attain an education in Scotland and returned to become governor of British Columbia in Canada. … Full article available at link below

Sir James Douglas monument unveiled at Mahaica

(Appeared in Guyanese Online Newsletter – March 2010 – Page 10)

BUXTON-FRIENDSHIP – 170th ANNIVERSARY

BUXTON-FRIENDSHIP – 170th ANNIVERSARY

The village of Buxton is situated on the East Coast, in the county of  Demerara. It lies within Guyana’s Demerara-Mahaica Region 4,  approximately 12 miles east of the capital city of Georgetown, and is part of the Buxton-Foulis Neighbourhood Democratic Council. April 2010 will mark the 170th anniversary of the purchase of this former plantation by 128 previously enslaved African descendants.

On 1st August, 1838, slavery was officially abolished in Guyana. But for four years preceding this occurrence, the slaves served a period of apprenticeship through which they earned small amounts of compensation for their labour. From their meagre wages, they resolutely saved some of their earnings, which they later pooled to purchase abandoned plantations.

It should be noted that although Victoria was purchased before Buxton, Buxton obtained its transport first on 2nd January, 1841. Following the first such purchase of what is now Victoria Village, in November 1839, by 83 former slaves, 128 of their fellow labourers from plantations between Lusignan and Non Pariel, East Coast Demerara, pooled their resources to acquire the 500-acre Plantation New Orange Nassau from its proprietor, James Archibald Holmes, for $50,000, in April 1840. The newly established village was renamed Buxton in honour of Thomas Fowell Buxton, a British Member of Parliament, who had campaigned tirelessly for the abolition of slavery in the British colonies. …..continued click following link for the full article ….   Buxton-Friendship 170th Anniversary

( appeared in Guyanese Online Newsletter – March 2010-  page 11.)

%d bloggers like this: